Active Life Trainer
Are you a proactive and motivated individual keen to gain work experience in the Mental Health Care field? We are looking for an Active Life Trainer with a passion for delivering excellent care to improve their physical health and well-being by planning and implementing activities for our service users on a full time basis.
A career at Cygnet comes with excellent benefits. Whether it’s saving you money on the high street, with healthcare, holidays & leisure – or securing your future with professional development and a pension – we support you to be happy both in & out of work.
Apply now to enjoy excellent career prospects while reaping the rewards of making a difference to others – every day.
Post: Active Life Trainer
Salary: up to £22,500 per annum (DOE)
Base: Cygnet Hospital Kewstoke, BS22 9UZ
Responsible for: The planning, coordination and delivery of personalised physical activity programmes for individuals within the service
Responsible to: Active Life Lead (Line manager) and Head of Occupational Therapy
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (flexible to cover a 7 day service including late shifts and weekends)
Location: Cygnet Hospital Kewstoke, Beach Road, Weston-Super-Mare, BS22 9UZ
The Active Life Trainer will work as a member of the Occupational Therapy Team with supervision from the Active Life Lead and as part of the multidisciplinary team. They will be involved in supporting the Active Life Lead in facilitating group and individual physical activity and exercise intervention and providing healthy lifestyle advice to support service users to focus on maintenance and improvement of their physical health and wellbeing as a part of their recovery.
The individual will have specific responsibilities within a designated area and be expected to work with minimal supervision.
In this role you will be supporting Active Life and the Occupational Therapy team in delivering meaningful physical activity by:
- Building up a therapeutic relationship with service users to motivate and encourage their interest and participation in physical activity and exercise.
- Contributing to the assessment of service users and identification of their physical health and exercise goals.
- Working with the Active Life Lead and MDT to develop group and individual physical activity interventions to meet service users’ needs.
- Assisting in the delivery of the Active Life Programme as directed by Active Life Lead that supports service users to engage in meaningful activity.
- Advising and supporting service users on a range of ways to make improvements to their physical health and wellbeing.
- Contributing to the evaluation of interventions and review of the Active Life programme.
- Providing support and assistance to workshops and training commensurate with the promotion of physical health and exercise within the Hospital.
- Conducting gym inductions and writing fitness programmes as directed by Active Life Lead
- Overseeing the use of machines and equipment to ensure the delivery of safe exercise
Cygnet Hospital Kewstoke provides an emergency admissions service for men and a pathway for women from low secure to rehabilitation including a specialist service for personality disorder.
Kewstoke hospital has more than 16 acres of landscaped grounds and overlooks the Bristol Channel. This beachside location, just outside Weston-super-Mare, helps us provide a quiet, peaceful and therapeutic environment.
We have a designated qualified Occupational Therapist (OT) and OTA on each ward as well as Activity Coordinators to support delivery of the therapy programme around the hospital. Our environment has a holistic focus and includes a gym, ADL kitchen, IT suite, café, faith room and other ward therapeutic spaces.
The occupational therapy team focuses on enhancing practical life skills and coping strategies. We concentrate on community based activities, the use of public transport, cooking and development of hobbies and interests.
We work closely with our multi-disciplinary team to support the individuals in our care throughout their journey. The team consists of psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, social workers as well as external therapists and 24/7 support from the nursing team. This MDT working enables us to meet the changing needs of our service users as they progress through their care pathway, while ensuring their safety is maintained and their independence supported.
Cygnet Health Care was established in 1988. Across our 11 different service lines, we have evidence-based established models of care to ensure we provide the highest quality care and support. Our dedicated and expert teams of over 10 000 employees, support over 2800 individuals in a range of services across England, Scotland and Wales.
We have built a reputation for delivering pioneering services and outstanding outcomes for the people in our care, through co-production, recovery and rehabilitation.
Five reasons why you should apply
- We care about people in our services
- Career pathway progression to support your development and skills, including professional practice skills training, OTA assistant practitioner apprenticeships (level 3 and level 5 which contributes towards UCAS points)
- You will be an integral part of a well-established MDT with extensive experience
- Direct guidance of a qualified occupational therapist
- Be part of a large national professional network of over 150 OTs
In return we will offer you:
- Clinical supervision from the Active Life Lead and Occupational Therapy team
- Free parking and free meals for staff on duty
- Employee referral scheme: recommend a friend to us and claim a cash reward for their successful hire.
- Group pension: a generous pension plan helping you save for your future.
- NHS Discount Cards & Blue Light Card – includes big brand discounts.
- Wellbeing centre with exercises, recipes, financial and mental health advice.
- Plus much more…
Please see full job description in the attached document
The successful candidate will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS and reference check and an offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance.
To see detailed information about this location please click here
If you care about making a difference – we want to talk to you.