Adult Social Care Practitioner
We’re looking for a part time Adult Social Care Practitioner to join our Mental Health Social Care team on a fixed term basis until 30/11/2022. Our focus is to promote independence for everyone – so that people can do the things that matter most to them and live the life they want to live in their own home for as long as possible.
We are doing things differently to put the person at the centre of everything we do and to look creatively at how we can meet people’s needs in the community. We want to offer a consistent, quality service. We will give you the freedom to be innovative, to influence change and to really touch people’s lives – you can Do it your way.
You’ll work in a dynamic, supportive social care environment, managed by social work managers with mental health expertise – most are still practising AMHPs. Monthly supervision, annual appraisal, training and development will be provided to ensure you have the knowledge, skills and support to undertake your role.
We adopt a ‘grow your own’ approach to staff development and progression, striving to ensure all staff are well-prepared for the next step when the time is right. This includes the opportunity to train as Social Workers and Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHP).
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
You will work alongside Social Workers and Approved Mental Health Professionals within a community mental health social work team. You will be expected to work with individuals, families and our community networks to agree creative solutions to help people remain as independent as possible within their communities. You will work closely with a range of professionals including health colleagues to provide better outcomes for people.
You will provide really useful information and advice about mental health social care to people and their families. You will have conversations with people to identify what they are worried about or what they want to achieve, what support they already have and what they need. You will advise them on the best local services and solutions to suit the person’s needs. It is your role to encourage people to be independent, to help them grow their confidence and make the most of the support available in their local community.
You will make connections in the area that you are based, and you will work in partnership with local organisations to achieve the best outcomes for local people.
You will be expected to be flexible in your work base and to be willing to travel within the area of Somerset where you work, visiting people in their own homes.
A few things about you
We are looking for people who are not afraid to do things differently to create support that is better for people. You will need to be:
- Innovative and forward thinking
- Motivated and passionate
- Creative and solution focused to support people to be independent
- Able to make things happen and work at pace
- The ability to travel around the county (and sometimes outside) to carry out assessments and reviews.
If you are interested in finding out more about this exciting opportunity, before applying, please get in touch with Katherine Perring on KPerring@somerset.gov.uk
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, computers, mobile phones and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.