Advanced Practitioner – Children Looked After
Due to recent promotions, we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Advanced Social Work Practitioner to join our Children Looked After team (CLA) in Yeovil.
We are looking for Social Workers who are passionate and enthusiastic to provide a gold star service for all children and young people in our care and to also support their families.
We promote flexible working within our CLA teams and will consider part time, 9 day fortnight and other flexible working approaches. Our offices in the south of the county are based on the outskirts of Yeovil just 10 minutes from the A303 with plentiful parking on site. We are just 40 minutes’ drive from Taunton, the county town of Somerset, 30 minutes’ Dorchester and 45 minutes from the Jurassic Coast. There are good railway links to London, and options of town and some beautiful village living.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
The Key purpose of the role is to work with children and young people looked after to support them in achieving their potential in all areas of life.
Security and permanence is our passion for those children and young people that need it the most. Working in Children Looked After you will have the opportunity to support profound changes to a child’s life and to build long term relationships to see them through their journey.
We place children and young people at the heart of what we do and you will work with their families, carers and other professionals to achieve positive outcomes for their education, health and social and emotional well being.
What our young people say they want in a Social Worker is:
‘A good social worker is someone you can build a strong relationship with. And they are always there to listen, even when it is difficult to do so’.
Compassion, Care and Consistency’ are really important to them.
Although, currently, we are still mainly working from home you will need to be living within easy distance to attend the Yeovil office base when required.
A few things about you
- need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
- be passionate about relationship based practice, proud of your profession and be able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build relationships to work with children looked after and their families as well as work positively with Team around the Child partners.
- have the opportunity to support profound changes to a child’s life.
- work directly with children and families and complete tasks of gathering information and be responsible for inputting onto an electronic file so you will need to have good relationship based skills with both adults and children as well as a good standard of written skills and computer technology.
CLA Social Workers in Somerset support children from 0-18, therefore you will need to have a good understanding of CLA policy, legislation and guidance and experience working within English care proceedings.
As an Advanced Practitioner you will work some of our more troubled children and young people and work with children, carers and birth families through court proceedings. You should be able to work with an increased level of autonomy and decision making; support less experienced colleagues with practice meetings and chair meetings as appropriate to support good outcomes for the children and young people in our care.
You will be passionate about relationship-based social work, proud of your profession, and able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build relationships to make a difference to children and families. You will need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
Access to / use of a vehicle is an essential requirement as you will need to travel around this rural area.
The salary range for this role is £34,728 to £38,890 per annum
We’d love to hear from you if you think this could be the role for you so, for an informal chat about our jobs in Children Looked After please contact the Team Managers:
Office Number: 01935 463942
Kirsty Parsons: 07976692922
Victoria Rymell: 07977413849
We anticipate offering and conducting interviews ahead of the closing date for suitable candidates.
All interviews will be taking place virtually, for example via Microsoft Teams
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We can offer you:
- Small supportive teams to progress your career within Children Social Care
- Strengths and relationship-based approach to underpin your work
- Regular high-quality systemic supervision
- Permanence is our passion for those children that need it the most; promoting positive outcomes for children both educationally and socially with reconnection for all families wherever possible.
As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.