The Globe Inn
Apprentice Commis Chef Somerton
We are looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Commis Chef to join the team. This role is ideal for an Apprentice Commis Chef who is genuinely keen on a career producing excellent dishes using fresh produce.
We are looking for an apprentice commis chef to work in the kitchen and generally assist the other chef. Even though it’s an entry level job, as a commis chef you’ll have lots of responsibilities when you first start working and as you gain more experience, you’ll be expected to do a lot more. These are commis chef’s duties in a kitchen:
- Assisting Other Chefs in the Kitchen. They help prepare ingredients and do any tasks the chef needs assistance with
- Helping with Deliveries Restaurant kitchens receive regular deliveries of fresh ingredients and the commis chef will usually be there early to help carry and unpack. This helps in understanding the need to rotate stock and the importance of stock ordering
- Measuring Ingredients, the commis chef will measure out ingredients for different recipes. Certain workstations need particular ingredients and spices ready for the chefs to start work
- Preparing Vegetables and Meats Along with measuring, the commis chef will also help prepare vegetables and meats. This can be seasoning or marinating steaks and other meats. Chopping vegetables is a common responsibility
- Assisting with Stock Rotation Stock rotation is an important responsibility in a restaurant kitchen
- Training and Learning Commis chefs are expected to quickly learn the basics on the job. But your employer will be expecting you to continue finding new ways to learn and develop your skills
- Cleaning Stations
Requirements and prospects
- Good knowledge of food hygiene and health & safety
- Good knife skills
- Good prep skills beneficial
- Good communication skills
- Passionate about the industry and keen to learn
- Able to take instructions and carry out duties appropriately
- Someone who can learn from mistakes and move forward
The ideal candidate will have 5 GCSE in the range of 9-3 (A* to E), including English and maths (or equivalent qualifications). Individual employers will set the selection criteria for the applicant. Individuals who have not yet achieved English and Maths at GCSE Grade D / Functional Skills Level 1 (or equivalent qualification) or above will need to do so in order to complete this Apprenticeship.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be qualified to work as a commis chef. Progression from this apprenticeship is expected to be into a chef de partie role or senior production chef role.
Things to consider
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide is updated every April (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Bridgwater & Taunton College
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Bridgwater & Taunton College
Sonia Harney HARNEYS@btc.ac.uk
- Standard Code: 93 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard (Level 2)
- Level 2 Commis Chef – Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
- Functional skills at level 1 and/or 2 in English and maths as required (exemptions apply)
The successful candidate will also need to complete a diagnostic assessment, which will help us plan the appropriate support required to meet your individual needs.
Level 2 (GCSE)