Assessment Social Worker – Mendip
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Social Worker to join our Mendip Assessment team. The key purpose of the role is to improve the outcomes for our most vulnerable young people and families in Somerset to encourage positive change.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a friendly and collaborative team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, along with a very supportive management team.
What we can offer you…
- Friendly and supportive teams, including adult focused practitioners, focused on improving outcomes for children and supporting children wherever possible to remain within their families
- Regular and good quality CPD and training
- Generous annual leave and flexible working options, including the option to work a 9 day fortnight, and hybrid working
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
- Generous relocation allowance
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
- Work with children and families to complete assessments to reflect individual circumstances including assessment of needs and risk, alongside strengths and protective factors, to develop meaningful plans to ensure that children are protected from significant harm and receive the appropriate multi-agency support.
- Responsible for a caseload of varying complexity, commensurate with experience, ability and qualification; receive and respond to referrals from various sources.
- Assess the needs of children and families under the appropriate statutory frameworks, liaising and working with partner agencies, and other Children’s Services teams, as required
- Participate in a duty rota responding to crisis situations and supporting children to remain safely within their families
- Enable and empower individuals’ families and carers to address issues which affect their health, financial, emotional and social wellbeing and to achieve and sustain positive change.
A few things about you
What we’re looking for…
You will be passionate about relationship-based social work, proud of your profession, and able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build relationships to make a difference to children and families.
You will need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
The team for the Mendip area is based in Shape Mendip in Shepton Mallet, and we offer flexible hybrid working, combining time spent with the teams in the office along with home working. You will need to hold a full driving licence and have access to your own vehicle as travel is required.
Due to the importance of the role we recommend applying as soon as possible. Depending on the level of response, we anticipate conducting interviews ahead of the closing date.
If you are interested in longer term work with families, and supporting them through to achieving positive outcomes, please look for our advert regarding positions with our Family Safeguarding Teams in Mendip.
For an informal chat about roles within our Family Safeguarding team, please contact Annabelle Sargeant, Operations Manager, on 01278 447736 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From 1 April 2023 the County and District councils in Somerset will be replaced by a new single unitary authority – Somerset Council. It’s a genuinely exciting time to join us as we work together with the four district councils to deliver the new council for Somerset.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a friendly team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We are continuing to develop our use of motivational interviewing to support families with identifying opportunities for change and working to achieve and sustain this alongside them, with the support of our multi-agency partners.
In this role you will require a criminal background check via Disclosure and Barring Service.