The Newt Somerset
Assistant Cyder Maker / Cyder Tour Guide
The Newt in Somerset has ancient woodland, historic gardens and far reaching views. It is a unique destination with Hotel, Spa, Restaurants and much more. Visitors can take a tour of the gardens, deer park and cyder press, dine in the Garden Café and visit our farm shop. Expecting to attract some 150,000 visitors per year, The Newt in Somerset is a vibrant and thriving attraction, animated throughout the seasons by special events, workshops and education programmes.
The Cyder Team are an integral part to one of The Newt’s most important products: Our top-quality Cyder (spelt with a Y). Cyder has been a staple of Somerset for hundreds of years, it is The Newt’s goal to celebrate every aspect of the county’s signature crop; from the sapling to the tree, the fruit, it’s juice and the final stage: cyder. Our cyders are made with 100% apple juice and by using slow, cold fermentation, the residual sweetness from the apples is maintained. It is important that we share our knowledge and love of cyder with all our members, so we regularly run Cyder Experiences, tours, tastings and masterclasses.
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic and energetic person to assist in the production of high-quality cyder and feature in the Newt Cyder Experience by guiding our members through the cyder-making process. We are seeking a versatile individual who is passionate about cyder-making and is eager to share this with our members.
- Assist the Cyder team in production and packaging of cyder and juice
- Delivery of cyder tours & tastings
- Land Rover/forklift driving, transporting the apples from storage to Press House wash pit
- Conduct alternate weekend apple pressing shows as part of a 2-person team
- Pressure wash-down of all cyder making equipment after use
- Assisting with maintaining cleanliness of the Press House & cellar
- Comply with current legislation in Health & Safety and Environmental Health policy
- Assist the transport of stored apples from Avalon Farm stores (satellite facility less than a mile away) to the Press.
Skills and Experience
- Enthusiasm for high-quality cyder
- A versatile and practical person who is capable of manual labour, including driving forklift, apple bin handling, jet-washing equipment, handling finished cyder and apple juice products (packaged bottles/kegs).
- Pro-active team-player, able to integrate into a small cyder team and also the wider Newt staff community
- Confident and personality to interact with hotel guests and the general public on a daily basis during apple pressing demonstrations, Cyder House tours, tastings and other estate events, with a commitment and eagerness to provide the highest level of visitor experience
- Ability to travel within the UK and overseas including full and UK driving license
- Basic knowledge and experience of making wine/cyder is beneficial
Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment, fresh estate grown meal provided each day
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- 15% discount from Mobile Newt
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development opportunities