Assistant Director – Strategic, Place and Planning
Somerset West and Taunton Council has a wonderful blend of urban and rural communities, linking both industry and innovation sitting in an area of rolling countryside and areas of outstanding natural beauty. We are currently looking for an energising Assistant Director to lead on the delivery of our Development Management, Economic Development and Planning Policy teams.
This role is an opportunity for a talented, strategic, operational thinking individual to lead three established teams in driving forward service improvements to reach our overall aim of a gold standard Planning Service that delivers excellence across a range of key corporate services and the wider community.
As our most senior planner, your influence on the future of our district and its environment will be significant. You will provide strategic direction for continuing development as well as advising senior officers and elected Members on complex planning matters. As a member of the directorate’s leadership team, you will be a key contributor to cross-cutting corporate projects and initiatives.
You will be well practised in negotiating at a senior level with developers and in influencing key decisions, as well as ensuring a high standard of customer excellence is delivered at all times. We’ll value your exceptional business and financial acumen, your capacity for inspiring and developing others, and your ability to build proactive relationships across the public and private sectors. You will also be responsible for managing the Council’s strategic response to Phosphate implications. Political awareness is also essential.
The successful candidate must be able to evidence a track record of working at a senior level in a Development Management service delivery environment, with clear communication skills and success in driving improvements forward. The post holder will carry corporate accountability for a range of regulatory compliance duties.
For more information on this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of working with the Council
- The Council offers flexible and agile working, with excellent technology to support this
- The Council Offices provide a pleasant, comfortable and modern working environment and a fleet of pool cars for use on official business
- The Council offer a generous annual leave entitlement as well as an option to purchase additional annual leave
- Other benefits include the Local Government Pension Scheme, payment of professional subscription if required for the role, an Employee Assistance Programme, access to My Staff Shop which include salary sacrifice schemes, discounts and deals
- Employees also are eligible for free use of the gym and swimming pool during off-peak times and discounted gym and swimming membership at peak times
- A relocation allowance may apply if eligible
Share this job