The World of Virtual Workers
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is the use of software with machine learning capabilities to handle high-volume; repeatable tasks that are currently carried out by people. The Trust has purchased an appropriate RPA solution and we have contracted with Blue Prism for them to provide five virtual workers. This contact has started and we wish to increase the number of staff developing automated processes.
An Automation Analyst (Band 6) will plan and support the re-design of processes to allow them to be automated. This may involve the integration via RPA of different third party systems. They will develop process maps and specifications, collecting data to understand the baseline activity and deploying the RPA process to fulfil the task previously carried out by staff.
They will then build the automated process within the Blue Prism platform. This will be supported by the Automation Analyst in post, by training and by professional services from Blue Prism.
If you are interested in this post, please talk to James Marriott, Digital Change Manager (07771 873125)
Main duties of the job
The post holder’s role will plan and support the facilitation of the re-design of processes through the introduction of robotic process automation. The post holder will identify areas for targeted automation; including:
- support the development of automation solutions across a range of technology platforms and integrated 3rd party systems;
- participating throughout the automation development lifecycle including the creation of process maps and functional specifications, through to deployment;
- development of detailed process maps, reviewing existing processes and development of future processes;
- collection and presentation of data measurements to understand process baselines;
- identify opportunities where things could be done more efficiently and safely through automation;
- ensuring business benefits are identified and owners agreed and assigned to achieve through the Improvement Programme Management Office and other processes;
- supporting the Testing and Training Team with system testing automation software;
- supporting the Digital Support Service Team with process automation;
- working closely with the project team ensuring key components are delivered on-time and to the required standard;
- working with suppliers and staff (both clinical and non-clinical) to deliver automation processes to support and improve patient care and business efficiency.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Communication and Key Working Relationships
- Working with customers to develop process maps and to write automation and integration specifications for sign-off by stakeholders.
- Communicate, in the most appropriate manner, complex technical and non-technical information, to internal / external colleagues, and suppliers.
- Effectively communicate in a variety of ways, including verbal, electronic and written communications, providing expert advice and support, presenting reports and attending meetings.
- Provide advice to clinical and non-clinical colleagues with regards to best practice.
- Communicate sensitive/complex information to internal and external colleagues and other key stakeholders through formal communication and/or presentations as required.
Planning and Organisation
- Assist in the development of procedures for areas of responsibility.
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared with colleagues and acted upon.
- Take responsibility for own professional development, undertaking training as appropriate in relation to their own personal development.
- Manage the planning and organisation of own workload.
- Participate in and support planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems in conjunction with end-users.
- Analyse documentation and technical specifications of any new system integration or interface to determine its intended functionality.
- Provide specialist advice to help services improve the delivery of quality and efficient patient care through the use of IT.
Responsibility for Patient / Client Care, Treatment & Therapy
- Maintain the configuration of systems in such a way as to support front-line staff with the recording of accurate and timely information. Responsible for ensuring that the impact of own actions is positive and enhances patient safety and quality.
Policy, Service, Research & Development Responsibility
- Research and make recommendations on development, system integration, interface products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Evaluate enhancements to existing systems throughout the Trust.
- Ensure that local developments adhere to the required standard and quality.
Responsibility for Finance, Equipment & Other Resources
- Take responsible for the safety and security of any device allocated and for the working environment; the use of all digital systems, including any storage and movement of data.
- Comply with local and national financial policies and procedures.
- Take personal responsibility for the identification and eradication of waste for the organisation.
Responsibility for Supervision, Leadership & Management
- Provide leadership and direction to direct reports/teams, aligned with organisational values and behaviours, to make the most effective use of skills and talent of team members.
- Take responsibility for ensuring colleague wellbeing is promoted.
- Motivate staff in accordance with agreed organisational policies, ensuring appraisals, sickness reporting and other HR policies are followed.
- Provide effective leadership, expertise, advice and support to all departments involved in the use of digital services.
Information Resources & Administrative Duties
- Assist with the maintenance of a knowledge base of solutions to common faults
- Work mainly on own initiative and manage own workload; working in a manner that maintains and promotes quality.
- Collate, interpret and present data and information requirements from current clinical and administrative systems to assist with development of new clinical and administrative processes. Ensure this is tailored for particular target audience and use own knowledge, skills and experience to influence others’ information collection and management.
- Ensure only legitimate and authorised users, including 3rd party suppliers, can access systems that you are responsible for and to carry out regular audits.
Qualifications & Training
- – Educated to degree level or have a minimum of 3 years relevant NHS experience – Evidence of own continuing professional development – Has practical knowledge of Change management (e.g. LEAN/Six Sigma process) (or equivalent) – Experience of working within a project or change environment
- – Application of process redesign techniques to create improvement supporting clinical and digital programmes – Process mapping and workflow diagram techniques and applications – Customer Relationships and delivery of service improvements – Understanding of NHS business and clinical processes
- Experience of working effectively within a team – Experience in working within a project management environment delivering business process/change initiatives across an organisation – Experience of managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines – Experience of working in a large, multifaceted organisation – Experience of Information Governance policies and obligations, including Data Protection Act and an understanding of data confidentiality – Experience of delivering a set of agreed objectives or deliverables within the constraints of agreed timescales, policies and procedures