Children’s Social Worker Assessment Mendip
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Social Worker to join our Shepton Mallet Assessment team. This is the first time in over 2 years that a post has become vacant within this team. At present in Somerset we are offering an “Ebb and Flow” approach to office working.
This enables our staff to make best use of their time to work from home where possible, whilst also have office access for team and peer interactions, and a base when out and about visiting children and their families. The key purpose of the role is to improve the outcomes for our most vulnerable young people and families in Somerset to encourage positive change.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a friendly and collaborative team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of children and their families in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, along with a very supportive management team. We launched our Family Solutions Somerset approach in 2019, which now include Family Safeguarding Model, Family Drug and Alcohol Court (FDAC), Pause Project and Safe Families. At the heart of our approach is Relationship Based Practice, where all staff receive specific training on Motivational Interviewing and can access further training and development opportunities through Systemic Principles and Practice.
What we can offer you…
- Generous annual leave and flexible working options, including the option to work a 9-day fortnight.
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including; cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
- Generous relocation allowance
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
- Work with children and families to complete assessments of allocated cases to reflect individual circumstances including assessment of needs and risk, alongside strengths and protective factors, to develop meaningful plans to ensure that children are protected from significant harm and receive the appropriate multi-agency support.
- Responsible for a caseload of varying complexity, commensurate with experience, ability and qualification; receive and respond to referrals from various sources.
- Assess the needs of children and families under the appropriate statutory frameworks, liaising and working with partner agencies, and other Children’s Services teams, as required
- Participate in a duty rota responding to crisis situations and supporting children to remain safely within their families
- Enable and empower individual’s families and carers to address issues which affect their health, financial, emotional and social wellbeing and to achieve and sustain positive change.
A few things about you
What we’re looking for…
You will be passionate about relationship-based social work, proud of your profession, and able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build relationships to make a difference to children and families.
You will need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
The team for the Mendip is based in Shape Mendip in Shepton Mallet, although, as said above we are operating an “Ebb and Flow” approach to office and home working. You will need to hold a full driving licence and have access to your own vehicle as travel is required.
Due to the importance of the role, we recommend applying as soon as possible. Depending on the level of response, we anticipate conducting interviews ahead of the closing date.
For an informal chat about the role within our assessment team please contact Kris Pearse or Lorraine Horler, Team Managers – firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com or telephone on 01749 822942.
Salary £30,451 – £34,728 per annum.
In this customer facing role you will be required to speak Fluent English.
Please note this post requires a criminal check via the disclosure procedure.