Cleaning Team Member
An exciting opportunity has become available within our Cleaning Team in Somerset Trust. Various shifts and flexible shifts available, covering a 7-day a week service. Enhanced rates available for unsociable hours .
Main duties of the job
Specific duties will be discussed at interview to meet service requirement.
You will work closely with the Facilities Supervisor, Service Assistants.The post holder will be directed by the Facilities Team to carry out a range of duties for the needs of the service. The cleaning of the work environment following a planned and methodical approach in order to ensure all areas are included.
Examples of areas cleaned are toilets, bathrooms, and patient’s single rooms, ward areas, patient’s day rooms, and lounges, offices, meeting rooms, external patio areas and the immediate external vicinity of entrances, outpatients departments, kitchens and sanitary areas.
The post holder will be require to resolve fault finding on equipment used or change in cleaning schedules.
Working alongside and supporting apprentices with their daily duties, using a buddy system, ensuring they fully understand all Health and Safety aspects of the role, Trust policies and procedures.
The post holder will:-
Assist in maintaining a safe and hygienic environment in support of patient care by carrying out a range of duties to specific standards and process set out in the Operational Cleaning Manual and HACCP and other Trust policies and procedures, in line with Health and Safety work Act (HASAWA).
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Communicate with colleagues in connection with own job / communicate with colleagues, patients and staff.
- Replenish cleaning materials and equipment at the end of each shift.
- Ensure visitor’s toilets are checked / monitored three times per day recording the time and date in line with the Trust Operational Cleaning Manual.
- Undertaking Legionella flushing regimes on identified water outlets within the building and keeping accurate records of this.
- Will complete monitoring sheets, as part of the role.
- Change all types of curtains when appropriate complying with Operational Cleaning Manual. Ensure correct bagging and labelling procedures is followed.
- Handle soiled linen and waste bags as required taking to the sluice, disposal hold or waste compound as directed.
- Assist, as necessary, in the delivery of hot / cold snacks and beverages, as requested, offering 24 hours Ward Pantry service in line with the Better Hospital Food Programme.
- Assist with cleaning / washing of all equipment / utensils used in preparation, serving and consuming of food and beverages, as necessary.
- Assist, as necessary, with the cleanliness of the Ward Pantry including stock levels and rotation of stock also ensuring all monitoring forms are fully completed.
- Assist the Housekeeper, as necessary, with the labelling and storage of refrigerated food, ensuring temperature of the refrigerator is recorded twice each day, in line with Trust Policy.
- Undertake cleaning duties in accordance with the Operational Cleaning Manual and cleaning schedules throughout the hospital premises, this may include wards, outpatients departments, offices, kitchens and sanitary areas.
- Ensure that all equipment is stored in a safe manner and kept in a clean condition and report any defects or failures, to the Facilities Supervisor.
- Respect patient’s privacy and dignity whilst carrying out housekeeping duties.
- Cleaning schedules throughout the hospital premises, this may include wards, outpatients 3 departments, offices, kitchens and sanitary areas.
- To be aware of the confidentiality of all patients clients within our care.
- Report any untoward incidents, accidents or complaints to the Facilities Supervisor, Nurse in charge on shift.
- Facilities Supervisor
- Facilities Manager
- Service Assistants
- Ward Team
- Clients / Patients
- Professional staff
- Physical work forms part of daily practices e.g. moving, bending, and lifting carrying of small items manoeuvring of equipment, beds to carry out tasks.
- The post holder will be required to perform cleaning duties within the kitchen area. This area may become hot when loading or unloading of kitchen equipment.
- The post holder will be required to perform cleaning duties within the laundry area. This area may become hot when loading or unloading linen to the ward area.
- The post holder will be required to place food in hot trolleys and also to manoeuvre hot trolleys.
- The post holder may have contact with patients when delivering trolleys to ward areas.
- May be exposed to distressing circumstance i.e. death on ward or aggressive behaviour by patients / clients families depending on area of work.
- At certain periods of the day the department can get very hot and this can cause unpleasant working conditions.
- Protective clothing (PPE) must be worn when appropriate, complying with the Trust uniform policy.
- A degree of physical work forms part of daily practices e.g. moving / carrying small items of equipment or stores.
- Awareness of equipment within manual handling and lift guidelines, equipment will be provided to facilitate these tasks.
- Care must be taken to observe Trust Guidelines.
- Knives are an essential item of equipment whilst working in the kitchen and must be handled carefully.
- Knowledge of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) is required as cleaning chemicals form part of the cleaning procedure. Understand the risk relating to 4 COSHH and exposure to hazards by mixing chemicals.
- As part of the Environment Cleaning Schedule and cleaning products listing, ensure the safe storage and use of cleaning products.
- The post holder will be exposed to dirty areas that include clothing fibres dust, smell, and bodily fluids.
- Ensure all detergents are used in accordance to manufactures instructions and stored safely when not in use.
Any Other Specific Tasks Required
- Respond to emergencies as appropriate.
- Maintain personal hygiene in line with Trust policy.
- Maintain a clean and tidy appearance wearing Trust uniform and ID at all times when on duty complying with departmental dress code and personal hygiene guidance.
- Relevant experience
- Relevant Training