Constitution and Standards Committee
Somerset County Council has three vacancies to fill on its Constitution and Standards Committee. The main responsibilities relate to updating the Council’s Constitution and the policies and procedures in relation to elected members’ standards of conduct.
Among the Committee’s responsibilities are:
- Maintaining an effective, up to date and legally compliant Constitution.
- Considering proposals from Council committees for changes to the constitutional arrangements of the Council.
- Taking all required decisions in respect of the County Council elections;
- Responsibility for promoting high standards of conduct by members, co-opted members and officers and for the policies and processes which support this aim.
The Constitution and Standards Committee comprises 1 elected member per political group (currently 5 elected Members) and 5 Co-opted Members without voting rights.
To be eligible to join the Committee as a volunteer you must:
- Be a Somerset resident
- Not be an elected member of Somerset County Council
- Be interested in public services
- Have no personal or business relationships with any elected members of the council
Although there is no salary for this voluntary role, panel members receive a travel allowance for attending meetings and a small annual payment in recognition of the commitment required to the role.
To apply for the position, you will need to email a copy of your CV and a short supporting personal statement (not more than a side of A4) stating why you think you are qualified for the role to Julia Jones at email@example.com
The closing date for applications is is 5pm on Friday 23 April and informal interviews will be held in the week beginning 3 May.
Somerset County Council is committed to promoting equal opportunity and access for all people.
Share this job