Mendip District Council
We are recruiting for a Corporate Health and Safety Officer.
Mendip District is a wonderfully picturesque area of Somerset with individually distinctive towns and villages, and one of the smallest cities in England.
Salary £29,327 to £33,548 per annum
37 hours per week
It is an area of outstanding natural beauty, with sites of historical significance, and many tourist attractions and events throughout the year, including the globally renowned Glastonbury Festival.
If you would like to work in such a lovely area then we are currently looking for an experienced and highly motivated individual to provide proactive, operational health and safety advice to the senior leadership team and practical support with delivery of health and safety to officers across the organisation.
The post holder will be responsible for:
- Supporting officers with the co-ordination, implementation and provision of advice and practical application on all aspects relating to operational health and safety
- Advising the senior leadership team on matters affecting the operational health and safety of the organisation with regular reporting requirements
- Influencing and monitoring contractors and site wide tenants as necessary
- Directing all staff in relevant H&S matters and providing necessary training
- Provide support to any Strategic Health & Safety Consultant appointed to manage specific major projects, significant incident management or wider strategic review
A minimum of a NEBOSH Certificate is required as well as up to date working knowledge of best practice and developments in workplace legislation, procedures and safe systems of work. Demonstrable recent experience of managing a comprehensive health and safety function within a complex organisation would be beneficial. NEBOSH Diploma qualification in Occupational Safety (or working towards) would be desirable. Applicants should also be fully IT literate with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Claire Malcolmson on (01749) 341350.
As a council, Mendip District Council promotes a culture of flexible / agile working. With this in mind, we are happy to discuss suggestions as to how the responsibilities of this role can be met through a flexible approach to hours and / or location as well as job share opportunities.
Closing date for applications is 27th November 2020. Interviews to be held on Friday 11th December 2020.