Data Analyst Apprentice
At Somerset County Council we pride ourselves on our can-do attitude and increasing innovation in the way we deliver public services for the people of Somerset. Working as an apprentice with us is a fantastic opportunity to start or progress your career within the public sector. We want to learn as much from our apprentices as they learn from us. We deliver a diverse number of services, from social care and flood protection to civil engineering and cyber security and want the best people to work with us to continue our ambitions
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
We are looking for Data Analyst to join our busy Business Intelligence Team as part of the Supporting Families programme. You’ll gain hands on experience of using information and data to support the delivery of Council services and improve the outcomes for local people. On the job training from our supportive team will aid you in achieving a BCS Level 4 Data Analysis qualification.
Apprentices will join our Business Intelligence Team which supports the delivery of Council Services through the provision of data analysis, intelligence and insight. Apprentices will gain knowledge and experience of data analysis tools and techniques using a range of databases and reporting systems.
Regular tasks and roles would include
- Ensuring accurate collection and collation of datasets from a range of sources
- Gain an understanding of data structures, data systems and reporting tools and techniques
- Use a range of techniques to analyse and interpret data with a view of turning data into information into intelligence into insight and thus drive improve services and outcomes
- Performance database queries across multiple platforms
- Assist in the production of a range of routine and adhoc reports. These reports are required by a wide range of audiences and as such will call on the use of varying tools and techniques for data presentation and visualisation
- Gain an understanding of data quality and sharing principles
- Develop a knowledge of how large and complex organisations can use data and information to improve the way they operate and achieve better outcomes for their “clients
A few things about you
We are looking for the following skills and personal qualities
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent organisational skills
- An aptitude for mathematics
- Good IT skills: word processing, spreadsheet, email and internet and ability to learn new software
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work with a high level of accuracy
- The ability to learn and apply new software
- Experience or interest in learning how to write code
- The ability to work as part of a team
- High levels of personal motivation
- Able to be flexible and deal with varying tasks
Entry Requirements for the position
- GCSEs at grade C/5 or equivalent in English and Maths
- Having attained, or working towards a level 3 qualification (e.g. A levels or equivalent, Level 3 Apprenticeship, etc.)
Please ensure you list your GCSE’s on your application form.
The salary range for this role is £18,562 to £18,833 per annum
For more information or an informal discussion about this post please contact Josh Pimm JzPimm@Somerset.gov.uk
All interviews will be taking place virtually, for example via Microsoft Teams
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, in line with government advice, all council staff are currently working from home. This role may be home based until updated advice is given by government.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
What we offer…
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
This post requires a Basic criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.