Ecological Consultant (Experienced Ecologist)
Salary: £22,000 – £27,000
Contract: Temporary/Full Time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Prockters Farm Office, West Monkton, Taunton TA2 8QN
Quantock Ecology has a new, exciting opportunity for an experienced Ecological Consultant to join our expanding team. We are looking for a motivated individual to help continue to deliver a professional, experienced and reliable service. The position is initially temporary, running until October 2021.
However, there may be scope to extend this depending on the candidate and business needs. The successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking ecological surveys, report writing, project management, providing support to other team members and live within a reasonable commuting distance to our office.
This will be a fantastic opportunity for the right candidates to build on existing knowledge and skill sets, with career development opportunities. Quantock Ecology is a small family run business, which specialises in terrestrial ecology working primarily across the southwest, south Wales and southern Britain.
Duties will include:
- The undertaking or leading of ecological surveys for a range of fauna, including bats, birds, badger, great crested newts, reptiles, dormouse, water vole and otter etc.
- The undertaking or leading on habitat surveys, with the ability to differentiate main broad and priority habitat types in the field.
- The writing/completion of scientific reports based on the surveys undertaken above.
- The production of method statements/mitigation plans.
- Keeping accurate field notes in accordance with the principles of scientific data collection, with experience in handling, recording and storing data effectively.
- Taking responsibility for staff management on mitigation projects, ensuring that there is sufficient staffing for various projects.
- Provide support to team members and seasonal ecologists.
- Recording data and tasks accurately on our project management software and understanding the commercial nature of consultancy projects.
- Work will include evening and dawn bat surveys, paid as overtime or as part of contracted hours.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a good understanding of wildlife legislation and be able to communicate this clearly to colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Have a degree within a relevant discipline.
- Be self-driven and motivated, with personal achievement goals.
- Preferably have at least two years’ experience working within an ecological consultancy.
- Hold a bat survey licence (level 2 or above preferable).
- Hold membership (or be eligible to have membership) with CIEEM or equivalent professional body.
- Hold a full UK driving licence.
- Have excellent attention to detail and communication skills.
- Have experience in GIS/QGIS and familiarity with the MS packages (word/excel/outlook etc).
- Have an understanding of how ecology fits in within the planning and construction industry.
- Take personal responsibility for their health and safety whilst at work and conduct work in a safe, professional and responsible manner.
- Experience in compiling/submitting European Protected Species Mitigation Licences.
- Registered consultant under the Bat Mitigation Class Licence system.
- Any experience acting as construction works supervising ecologist (ECoW) or delivering ecological mitigation.
- Experience in bat sound analysis software (Kaleidoscope Pro).
What we can offer:
- £22,000 – £27,000 per annum.
- Overtime paid for ‘out of hours’ bat surveys.
- Extremely flexible working through flexi-time.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory holidays.
- Bespoke training budget.
- Company pension policy.
- Company health insurance.
To apply, please send a covering letter along with your CV to Simon Pidgeon (Director). email@example.com
- Private medical insurance
- Monday to Friday
Government guidelines are being monitored on a weekly basis regarding precautions surrounding COVID-19.
- ecological consultancy: 2 years (preferred)
- bat survey licence (required)
Apply today for the Ecological Consultant position.