Estates Maintenance Manager
The Estates & Facilities Directorate at Somerset NHS Foundation Trust is looking to recruit a technically competent, qualified and motivated Estates Maintenance Manager (Band 7 – subject to banding outcome).
There has never been a more exciting time to come and work at Musgrove Park within the Estates & Facilities department, with significant capital investment on the horizon with a major 2nd phase redevelopment of our clinical facilities about to commence merger with another healthcare organization and unique development and career succession opportunities within EFM.
As a directorate, we are also fully committed to investing in our leaders, to help support progressive succession planning and creating the next generation of senior EFM leaders.
We want all staff to have a good life/work balance and we will support you to have a working pattern that meets your needs and helps us to provide our services in ways that best suit the needs of our patients.
Main duties of the job
The Estates Maintenance Manager reports direct to the Operational Estates Manager and will play a lead role in successfully managing the maintenance service at the Musgrove Park Hospital site. The post-holder will have full responsibility for the management of the maintenance service and will support the Operational Estates Manager in developing a robust maintenance strategy to ensure we provide the trust with an effective, fit for purpose maintenance service.
As a member of the Estates management team form part of the Directorates integrated Estates & Facilities Management function, in particular, directly responsible for providing an effective maintenance service primarily on the acute site.
The role will be primarily responsible to ensure the provision of a fit for purpose environment for patients, employees and visitors, through satisfying all relevant statutory, mandatory and best practice including the application of Healthcare Technical Memorandums (HTM) for all aspects of the Trust’s buildings and engineering systems, plant and equipment and the external environment.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
The NHS Pension scheme helps you to build your pension for when you retire. You receive tax relief on the contributions you make while you are working and the Trust makes a financial contribution as well. The NHS pension scheme has benefits that will support you and your family when you retire.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
• Required to communicate daily with (including but not limited to) informing, consulting, persuading, instructing all relevant EFM maintenance staff;
• Will be required to communicate with managers/staff outside of EFM in a professional and effective way entirely consistent with the Trust values;
• Be required to understand and communicate technical concepts to non-technical personnel and to support such stakeholders through to any technical challenge they may encounter in and/or through the reporting of defect work;
• Form effective working relationships with key estates and facilities staff
• Monitor and effectively manage control of contractors and associated management systems;
• Line manage the Estates Officer – Maintenance
• Work collaboratively with key estates and facilities leads in promoting the functionality of the CAFM system ensuring the best outcome from its use;
• Reporting any incidents by way of the Trust’s incident reporting system and collaborating with the Trust’s Governance Support Unit regarding any relevant aspects of reported incidents;
• Advise relevant estates and facilities managers on any related service risk, produce risk assessments and manage the risk via the trusts risk management process/risk register
• Working collaboratively with the Governance Support Unit regarding reviewing and updating in relation to Topic Lead responsibilities;
• In conjunction with the Trust’s PAL’s liaison team, on behalf of estates, investigate and respond to complaints received from patients, visitors, staff regarding maintenance services and prepare formal responses as required;
• Work collaboratively with the Capital team regarding minor and major refurbishment works,
• In conjunction with the other Estates Managers/Estates Officers undertake on-call duties providing support and advice out of hours for all Estates and Building related services.
• Act as authorised person for one more of the following disciplines Piped Medical Gas, Electrical, ventilation, water safety, pressure systems and Lifts, subject to experience and relevant training
Please refer to attached job description for more details.
- Degree level qualification in an estates or building services related discipline or equivalent experience;
- HNC or equivalent in an Engineering or Building discipline or equivalent experience
- Plus, specialist knowledge acquired through experience in CAFM operating systems;
- Foundation Contract Management
- Management/Leadership Qualification
- Health & Safety Qualification IOSH/NEBOSH
- A broad technically competent background
- Understanding the relationship between the CAFM system and the needs of the organisation;
- Understanding of the users requirements and concepts behind various maintenance regimes;
- A complete understanding of the interrelationship between assets and their maintenance and lifecycle requirements;
- A working knowledge of Health & Safety and relevant current legislation and guidance;
- Experienced in Risk Management
- 5 years’ experience in an engineering maintenance/technical environment
- Experience in working with changes and improvements to improve maintenance services;
- Experience of compiling a range of reports based on CAFM database and technically being able to interpret/analyze and generate written reports;
- Experience of managing contracts, contractors
- Experience of tendering for key service contracts
- Experience in providing and disseminating complex technical reports;
- Proven ability to manage a data structure of a computerised helpdesk/CAFM system;
- Experience of distributing/allocating technical reactive maintenance tasks to a multi-skilled workforce;
- Understanding of key principle/key engineering/building trades, skills and terminology;
- Experience of having managed people/teams and financial resources/budgets;
- Experience of managing the output from a CAFM system and providing a facilities/maintenance service;
- Experience of managing service level agreements
- Working in a hospital environment;
- Evidence of a good standard of Literacy / English language skills;
- Excellent all round communication skills at all levels;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, effective at building relationships and dealing and influencing all stakeholders;
- Good organisation and planning skills, flexible and willing to undertake additional ad-hoc tasks as necessary within the bounds of skill and experience;
- The ability to remain calm and confident in a fast paced working environment;
- Ability to prioritize workload and to work to tight deadlines;
- Computer literate in use of Word, Excel, Email, PowerPoint;
- Excellent IT skills MS Office, CAFM, Energy management/metering systems, able to read CAD drawings schematics;
- Basic knowledge of databases and SQL queries
- Willingness to use technology to improve standards of care and support to our patients;
- Strong motivational team player;
- Self-belief and self-motivated, proactive and does adopt an innovative approach to work;