Family Intervention Service Team Leader
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for a Family Intervention Service Team Leader position within our Family Intervention Service, in Shepton Mallet and Taunton. The Family Intervention Service (FIS) is a specialist county-wide service, which offers support and interventions to children, young people and their families. We deliver a bespoke intervention package working with them at an early stage to help them stay safe and reduce the risks of family breakdown.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
Key purpose of the role….
You will be part of a strong and ambitious Children’s social care leadership team, where the goal is to support families to ensure children have the best opportunities to grow and develop their potential.
Using a strengths-based approach, our workers ‘get alongside’ families to help them identify what it is they want to change and why, and then build sustainable family plans for change. We support families along the journey of change and are there to help them celebrate their successes.
A few things about you
You will have responsibility for the performance, development and support of a dedicated team of Family Intervention Workers and professional practitioners who are managing significant caseloads of families at any one time. You will be a resilient, engaging, supportive supervisor who takes pride in leading from the front along with the ability to challenge practice and drive individual and team development forward.
You will be passionate about working with children and young people and be able to quickly build up effective relationships based on trust and respect. You’ll be robust, confident and resilient in your approach and be able to engage with carers and families many who will have complex needs whilst effectively leading and supporting the team.
- To effectively lead and manage the team through a positive, committed, adaptable and confident approach.
- To establish strong working relationships with your team and professionals who work with children, young people and their families or carers based upon respect and positive regard which is carried through into staff relationships and how the team is led
- To ensure the team apply a solution focused approach whilst providing practical advice and support to families and adolescent children to enable them to achieve and sustain positive outcomes.
- To demonstrate sound analysis and decision making in dealing with complex cases which a requires a high level of knowledge and understanding of safeguarding to prevent escalation to statutory services.
- To work flexibly, with autonomy whilst ensuring the team are fully supported and guided to reach their own decisions where appropriate
You will need to be able to travel to meet the requirements of this post and be available to work evenings and weekends when required.
The salary range for this role is £34,728 to £38,890 per annum
For an informal chat about the role please contact:
Sam Fahey – Tel: 07977 411298, email: SFahey@somerset.gov.uk or
Kama McKenzie – Tel 07811 307245, email: KMcKenzie@somerset.gov.uk
All interviews will be taking place virtually, for example via Microsoft Teams
We anticipate offering and conducting interviews ahead of the closing date for suitable candidates.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great learning and development opportunities, along with a very supportive leadership team.
What we can offer you…
- Generous annual leave and flexible working options
- Great career development opportunities, including various supported routes into social work
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including; cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.