Family Intervention Worker
Somerset County Council have exciting opportunities for Family Intervention Workers across the county. The Family Intervention Service (FIS) is a specialist county-wide service, which offers support and interventions to children, young people and their families. We deliver a bespoke intervention package working with them at an early stage to help them stay safe and reduce the risks of family breakdown and prevent escalation to statutory services.
We also have opportunities for Family Intervention Workers in other Children’s Social Care Teams.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great learning and development opportunities, along with a very supportive leadership team.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
Key purpose of the role….
Using a strengths-based approach, our workers ‘get alongside’ families to help them identify what it is they want to change and why, and then build sustainable family plans for change. We support families along the journey of change and are there to help them celebrate their successes.
- support children, young people and their families and act as a keyworker in helping families to identify their strengths and challenges, and what could make the difference to them in achieving their very best family outcomes.
- support a young person or a family in developing an action plan, and then in making the changes identified.
- work alongside young people and families, so out of hours, evening and weekend working is necessary, on a rota basis.
- Work closely with other professionals and communities to provide effective support and get the best outcomes to avoid escalation.
A few things about you
What we’re looking for…
You will be passionate about working with children and young people and their families to be able to quickly build up effective relationships based on trust and respect. You’ll be robust, confident and resilient in your approach and be able to engage with carers and families many of who will have complex needs. Teamwork is essential to the role to ensure we are sharing best practice and new ideas in order to achieve the best possible outcomes for families across Somerset.
The salary range for this role is £22,183 to £25,481 per annum
(Plus a Recruitment Allowance of £3,986 per annum for up to 5 Years)
We have positions available county wide and are very open to flexible working options. You will need to be able to travel to meet the requirements of this post and be available to work evenings and weekends on a rota basis.
For an informal chat about the role please contact:
Operations Manager: Sam Fahey on 07977 411298 SFahey@somerset.gov.uk,
Operations Manager: Kama McKenzie on 07811 307245 KMcKenzie@somerset.gov.uk
All interviews will be taking place virtually via Microsoft Teams
Due to the importance of the role we recommend applying as soon as possible as, depending on the level of response, we anticipate conducting interviews ahead of the closing date.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
What we can offer you…
- Generous annual leave and flexible working options
- Great career development opportunities, including various supported routes into social work
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including; cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.