Somerset County Council’s Finance Service provides a wide range of support in helping to deliver services to support the County Vision whilst also providing value for money for the people of Somerset and helping the authority towards financial self-sustainability. There is an increased need to deliver effective financial management and provide strong financial support to services and the organisation corporately.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
This role will cover a broad range of administrative and finance functions with potential to work across several teams in the finance service. You may have opportunities to support finance business partner functions in budget setting, budget monitoring and forecasting, supporting the Corporate Finance activities including control and reconciliation processes and financial reporting and provide general administrative support for the finance service.
As part of this role you will gain significant experience in using our finance system (SAP) and excel with opportunities to learn advanced skills in these areas. You will also develop an understanding of working within a political environment.
The apprenticeship will include studying for the Association of Accounting Technicians qualification to level 2, and possibly level 3. You will be studying this apprenticeship with Richard Huish College. The length of the apprenticeship is two years .You can find out more about this apprenticeship by visiting https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/assistant-accountant/
A few things about you
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual with a good knowledge and range of IT skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Teams.
Entry requirements for the position
5 GCSEs including English & Maths Grades A-C/Grades 4-9.
Please ensure you list your GCSE’s on your application form
The salary for this role is National Minimum Wage Pay Rates for an Apprentice: 16-17: £4.62, 18-20: £6.56, 21-22: £8.36, 23+: £8.91 per hour
For more information or an informal discussion about this post please contact Jo Gibson on 01823 359621 or by email JZGibson@somerset.gov.uk
All interviews will be taking place virtually over MS Teams.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.