Devon & somerset Fire & Rescue Service
Fire Control Operator
Fixed Term Contracts for up to 6 months.
42 Hours per week. Based at Fire Service Headquarters, Clyst St George, Exeter
Trainee salary £22641 rising to Development rate of £23585 per annum
Closing date for applications: 2359hrs on 19 April 2021
We currently have a vacancy at Firefighter level within our Fire Control Room, and applications are invited from individuals who would be interested in this post.
Fire Control is a varied department, with key responsibilities shown below:
- 999 call handling
- Resourcing Incidents
- Incident Support functions
- Work to support Service Delivery
- Learning and Development functions to support the Operational Resource centre
- Data inputting to support the mobilising system and response plans
- Working with partners in Hampshire and Dorset and Wiltshire
- Managing and supporting operational crewing across the Service
As a Firefighter within Fire Control you will be initially responsible for handling 999 calls, resourcing incidents, providing incident support and completing administration tasks. We are seeking individuals who are seeking a varied role and wish to contribute to the formation of the new Operational Resource Centre.
This job is unique and demanding and you will be given comprehensive, thorough and professional training to support your development within this role. Initial training will consist of training on day duties, moving to shift based work upon reaching the required standard. You will be continually assessed for your suitability for the role.
If you have a confident telephone manner, can accurately type 30 words per minute, have the ability to think and communicate quickly and clearly, simultaneously complete multiple tasks, you might be the person for the job. We are seeking flexible and motivated individuals who can remain confident and positive in a busy, pressurised and dynamic environment.
There are no qualifications required, however an excellent standard of both verbal and written English is essential, along with good knowledge and application of IT systems and software.
For more information regarding this post please contact Lee Blackburn on 01392 872534.
To apply for this post please see below the Job Description, Person Specification and the link to apply. Applicants should provide evidence to cover the 8 areas listed below:
Please provide evidence against the headings below in no more than 200 words per example.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure demonstrating personal resilience.
- Evidence of self-motivation
- Able to prioritise events and take appropriate action
- Acts as a role model encouraging positive behaviour
- Maintained a positive outlook and were adaptable, showing flexibility in the way you worked.
- Have found solutions to a problem and made appropriate decisions.
- Have communicated clearly, respectfully and with enthusiasm, ensuring your message was understood.
- Have taken responsibility of your actions and been accountable for your performance
Please be aware that the application will be used for shortlisting. Internal applicants please ensure your Line Manager is aware of your application for this post.
Please note we do not accept CV’s.
We are working to build a diverse workforce, that reflects the communities we serve.
Share this job