The Newt Somerset
The Newt in Somerset has ancient woodland, historic gardens and far reaching views. It is a unique destination with Hotel, Spa, Restaurants and much more. Visitors can take a tour of the gardens, deer park and cyder press, dine in the Garden Café and visit our farm shop. Expecting to attract some 150,000 visitors per year, The Newt in Somerset is a vibrant and thriving attraction, animated throughout the seasons by special events, workshops and education programmes.
The Newt is known nationally and internationally for its heritage fruit collection, but also for our attention to detail and the historic techniques we use for training but additionally our modern way of thinking when it comes to fruit. As the gardens at the Newt expand, evolve, and grow our collection of fruit will also expand and the varieties and species we grow.
Reporting to the lead fruit grower, you will be an enthusiastic and approachable member of the horticulture team. Working to the highest of standards You will be involved in all new and continuing fruit growing projects, implementing as well as maintaining the various fruit growing situation. As a valued team member you will bring a level of initiative to your new role, voicing new ideas and ways of working. You will also be expected to work alongside and assist the different teams around the estate and their projects.
Once established in your position, you will conduct regular garden tours – showcasing excellent knowledge of both fruit and ornamentals across the estate. You will frequently interact with the estate members and hotel guests, so communication skills are a must.
- Maintaining, training, and caring for our fruit collection across the gardens
- Tending our iconic parabola
- Using IrisBG to catalogue and record our plant collections
- assisting all garden departments with fruit care and training
- The upkeep of the fruit tree nursery
- Supporting horticultural teams, particularly the ornamental team with upkeep and maintenance of the gardens.
- Supporting the lead fruit grower in various tasks across the estate
- Conducting regular garden tours
Key Skills and Qualifications
- An experienced gardener with at least RHS level 2 or higher
- A good knowledge of plants, their identification, propagation and cultivation.
- An understanding of fruit cultivation and care.
- Precise and well organised.
- Driven to provide the highest level of visitor experience.
- Hard-working and energetic, with excellent team skills and the ability to communicate at multiple levels
- Good IT skills for implementing efficient systems and records are essential
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Understanding of Health and Safety issues.
- An eye for detail and desire to achieve high standards.
- Customer focused approach to internal and external customers.
- Skilled in a range of practical skills for the care and presentation to a high standard of formal heritage gardens.
- Certification in PA1 & PA6 and Tractor Driving
Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment, fresh estate grown meal provided each day
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- 15% off Mobile Newt
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development opportunities
|Salary||£21,000 – £23,000 / Year|
|Experience||Minimum 2 years of experience|
|Location||A359, Hadspen, Bruton, Castle Cary BA7 7NG, UK|
|Expiry date||Wed, 10 Nov 2021|