Do you enjoy working outdoors? Are you a keen and enthusiastic gardener with a passion for Horticulture? Do you have basic knowledge of grounds and garden maintenance and mechanical skills to enable the operation of power tools?
An opportunity has arisen for a motivated gardener to join our Estates and Facilities team. This position is based at our Headquarters site but covers our properties across our force area.
We have a dedicated landscape team, our aim is to create areas that are practical for our operational needs, a pleasant working environment, while helping to improve the biodiversity we have on our sites. Every individual that works for us, is in some way supporting and serving the community we represent, we simply could not do the jobs we do without them.
In this Gardener role, your main responsibilities will be:
- General maintenance of grounds including cutting lawns, edging, repair, pruning and weed control
- Developing areas by undertaking planting and landscaping. Working in conjunction with the Line Manager to develop and work towards clear and agreed plans
- Maintaining machinery and servicing programmes as required with external agents where appropriate and keeping adequate records
- Maintenance of associated buildings to maximise their use and to ensure a safe environment, including managing deliveries and storage in a safe manner
- Carrying out conservation work and developing areas to improve the biodiversity we have on our sites
- Managing any inclement weather and clear snow from roads and paths, by use of both hand and mechanical machines and to apply salt as required.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
- You will need a basic knowledge of grounds and garden maintenance. Ideally, with previous experience in a similar environment enabling you to work with minimal supervision once the work schedules have been agreed
- Basic mechanical skills to enable the operation and safety checks of tools and machinery
- An awareness of relevant Health and Safety procedures
- Basic computer IT skills are required to enable work related requests, to submit worksheets and keep records etc
- A full current driving licence is required and you must be prepared to become an authorised driver including the taking of additional DVLA driving test if required.
- To be eligible to apply for this role you must have a 3 year ‘checkable history’ in the UK – ideally this means that you would have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.
Does this sound like the role for you? Click the link below to apply.
We are looking for people who share our values of caring, inclusive, courageous and learning.
To find out more about our Inclusive Culture
To enable us to deliver outstanding policing for everyone, we need people from all backgrounds with a range of professional and life experiences so that we are truly representative of our communities.
Why work for Avon and Somerset Police?
Avon and Somerset Police has gained a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force, responsible for policing a large diverse, multi-cultural population.
If you are looking for a fresh challenge which offers a genuine opportunity to make a real difference to people’s lives, variety and the chance to broaden your experience, then Avon and Somerset is the force for you.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We are working hard to increase diversity and inclusion within the Constabulary, where communities are under-represented, including those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities, people of all ages, abilities, faiths, religions and gender, LGBT communities and those from other disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds, who share our values and wish to make a difference to the communities we serve.
All applications will be treated on merit, based on the evidence provided in your application and suitability for the role you have applied for.
All requests for flexible working patterns will be considered and will be dependent on the role.
Recruitment and Selection Policy
Internal applicants who are at risk of redundancy or in need of redeployment and pass the selection process, will be offered the role over the remaining internal and external applicants.
Police Barred and Advisory lists
Individuals placed on the Police Barred and Advisory lists will not be considered for employment by the police for a minimum of 5 years from the date of listing in the case of gross misconduct, or 3 years from the date of listing in the case of poor performance.
Vetting and safeguarding
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to safeguarding and operate safer recruitment processes, to ensure a police service that employees are proud to work for because they feel safe, valued and part of a happy and supportive work environment. All employees and volunteers therefore will be subject to background checks including vetting and references.
Share this job