Governance Specialist – Democratic Services
Fixed term contract until 31.03.2023
We are looking to recruit an experienced and resourceful Governance Specialist to the Democratic Services Team. The post covers a number of key business support and project management activities at the centre of the Council and will include supporting our elected members and democratic arrangements. Responsibilities will be varied and you will have the opportunity to develop new skills.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working including some working from home,
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
- Manage projects such as member training and development programmes, Members IT support, multi agency partnership working, webcasting meetings and preparing for the transition to a unitary council in 2023.
- Support committee meetings and informal meetings involving elected members and officers
- Arrange other support necessary to enable elected members to carry out their roles effectively
A few things about you
You should ideally have experience in a similar governance role or in supporting democratic arrangements in local or central government. Your inter-personal and organisational skills will be very good and you will have a ‘can do’ approach to getting things done.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
For an informal discussion about the job please contact Scott Wooldridge in Democratic Services on 07976 695975.
The salary for this role is £34,728 – £38,890 per annum.
Interviews will take place virtually via MS Teams
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.