Graduate – Adult Social Care
We’re looking for talented Graduates to join our new two-year Graduate scheme at Somerset County Council. If you’re looking for an impactful career, join us, and we’ll give you a wealth of experience and support – as you take on challenging real-world projects that improve the lives of our residents, communities and businesses in the beautiful county of Somerset.
What We Can Offer You
You’ll have access to a comprehensive learning and development programme that will support the development of your professional and personal competences and skills. This will include coaching, online and blended learning, using our people attributes framework, alongside wider management and leadership training.
We recognise the importance of a good work life balance and do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including some working from home, compressed hours and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
In Somerset, we want people to live healthy and independent lives, supported by thriving and connected communities with timely and easy access to high quality support when they need it.
Adult Social Services are keen to recruit 2 Graduates to help us achieve this ambition and to give you in turn a real insight into the work we deliver.
The past 18 months have served to highlight why adult social care work is so vital and valuable, with the COVID pandemic demonstrating the importance of collaboration, communities, and of the care, support and protection of those who need some help the most.
As part of your two-year placement within the service, you will supported to spend time working across both operational support and commissioning, quality and performance areas of our business, giving you a real sense of the breadth of the work. You will have the opportunity to work in a variety of roles, including supporting adult social care provider quality oversight and monitoring, workforce support, adult social care data and performance monitoring, and other project related activity.
A few things about you
You will be a graduate (Degree, HND or Higher Apprenticeship) and you will have graduated within the last 3 years.
Successful candidates will be positive, passionate and ambitious about delivering high quality support as part of a team. We are looking for individuals with excellent communication and general business support/administrative skills, as well as an eye for, and interest, in detail and analysis. You will receive a good induction and supportive supervision arrangements during your time with us, as well as benefitting from a Local Authority-led programme of continuing professional development.
Salary progression details:
- £22,183 – starting salary
- £23,541 – after 6 months
- £24,982 – after 12 months
- £25,991 – after 18 months
The recruitment process for the Somerset County Council Graduate Scheme will be structured into 3 stages, explained below:
- CV submission by 4th August 2021 – sifted based on entry criteria.
- Presentation: you will be asked to present on the following topic – “What do you consider to be the main challenges Somerset County Council will face in the next 3 years?” – the presentation should last no more than 20 minutes and will then be followed by up to 5 minutes of follow up questions. Presentations will be carried out over MS Teams.
- Service specific formal interview – if successful at the presentation stage, you will then be invited to attend a formal interview with the specific service you have applied to.
Dates for these interviews will be between 1st August – 15th August and will be carried out over MS Teams.
In this customer facing role you will need to speak Fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure