Graduate – Economic Policy and Research Assistant
We’re looking for talented Graduates to join our new two-year Graduate scheme at Somerset County Council. If you’re looking for an impactful career, join us, and we’ll give you a wealth of experience and support – as you take on challenging real-world projects that improve the lives of our residents, communities and businesses in the beautiful county of Somerset.
What we can offer you
You’ll have access to a comprehensive learning and development programme that will support the development of your professional and personal competences and skills. This will include coaching, online and blended learning, using our people attributes framework, alongside wider management and leadership training.
We recognise the importance of a good work life balance and do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including some working from home, compressed hours and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a self-motivated Graduate wanting to develop their skills and experience in local government economic development. The role is based in the Economy and Planning Group as part of the Economic Policy Team. The post is full-time fixed-term contract for 24 months initially (subject to successful progression). There is potential for the position to become permanent if a substantive position become available.
The role will involve supporting the Senior Economist in the gathering, analysis and interpretation of economic intelligence to inform policy work. This will include work being undertaken in response to COVID-19, the Climate Emergency and Britain’s exit from the European Union. You will also support Employment and Skills activity being undertaken by the Policy Team.
A few things about you
You will be a graduate (Degree, HND or Higher Apprenticeship), preferably in one of the following subject areas Economics, Politics, Political Science, Statistics, Business Studies, and have graduated within the last 3 years.
You will be committed to a career in local government
You will have strong research and analytical skills and be able to gather, collate and interpret data
You will be highly literate and numerate and able to present information in a variety of ways to ensure that it is accessible to a wide range of audiences
You will be a strong communicator and able to do this through a variety of mediums
You will be able to demonstrate the ability to manage conflicting deadlines
You will have strong IT literacy, be familiar with Microsoft Office applications (including Excel) and able to use the internet effectively for research
Salary progression details: £22,183 – starting salary
£23,541 – after 6 months
£24,982 – after 12 months
£25,991 – after 18 months
For an informal discussion about this post please contact James Gilgrist, Senior Economist – Economy Planning, on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01823 355339 / 07855 283327.
The recruitment process for the Somerset County Council Graduate Scheme will be structured into 3 stages, explained below:
• CV submission by 4th August 2021 – sifted based on entry criteria.
• Presentation: you will be asked to present on the following topic – “What do you consider to be the main challenges Somerset County Council will face in the next 3 years?” – the presentation should last no more than 20 minutes and will then be followed by up to 5 minutes of follow up questions. Presentations will be carried out over MS Teams.
• Service specific formal interview – if successful at the presentation stage, you will then be invited to attend a formal interview with the specific service you have applied to.
Dates for these interviews will be between 1st August – 15th August and will be carried out over MS Teams.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.