Graduate Environmental Engineer
The HPC Jobs Service supports local people into exciting, long-term careers across our Project.
The Graduate Environmental Engineer will support the construction team in ensuring compliance with the environmental obligations on the project at Hinkley Point.
You will liaise and support the SHEQ team to ensure they have a knowledge of requirements, while also sharing learning with them. You will also assist in identifying, assessing and measuring environmental risks, specifically land remediation to achieve the project’s environmental objectives. This role will predominately involve working on the land remediation works package.
Specific duties in this role include;
• Ensure clear understanding and compliance with all obligations imposed under the contract
• Implement the requirements of the SHEQ Management System
• Review Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS) for work activities in your dedicated works package
• Carry out and maintain Environmental Risk Assessments (ERA) specific to the scope of works
• Report and record all environmental incidents and carry out an exploration when appropriate
• Collate records of environmental data for waste, keeping them up to date on a weekly basis to ensure efficient reporting for the first day of every month
• Uploading all environmental data onto the client system Tracker Plus and provide all environmental data to the central SHEQ team on a monthly basis
• Carry out weekly environmental inspections of dedicated work areas, record all observations and actions on an environmental inspection record and distribute actions accordingly
• Accompany the client on monthly environmental inspections and action or allocate responsibility for any observations raised
• Ensure that a strong relationship is established and maintained with the client, and construction and environment teams
Previous experience in contaminated land and remediation projects, including contracting and project management is highly beneficial, along with a good understanding of soil and groundwater remedial technologies, asbestos in soil, and the CLAIRE Definition of Waste: Development Industry Code of Practice.
Having knowledge and experience in the following would also be beneficial;
• UK regulatory framework
• ISO 14001 requirements (auditor experience preferred)
• Sustainable development principles and practices
• Management of environmental management systems
Ideally, you’ll have relevant diploma/degree in Environmental Management or equivalent subject.
This is a busy, varied role so we’re looking for someone with a positive and can-do attitude who is well organised, customer focused and a great team player. We’re renowned for the high quality of our work and to maintain this level of service excellence, our teams operate as a flexible resource. This means there may be times where you are asked to carry out other tasks to help achieve the wider team objectives.
The role may include working at other sites locally so you will need a full clean driving licence. This role will involve working Monday to Friday, with a view of moving to shift work to provide a seven-day service and you may be required to participate in routine standby cover too.
For this role you must have evidence of right to work in the UK. As a project, we do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Share this job