Do you enjoy being out and about, driving vehicles, and are you able to think on your feet and react to problems quickly? If you are good at planning and managing your own time, self-motivated and resourceful, then this could be the role for you.
We are looking for an individual to join our team to support our maintenance department on a wide range of functions and services across our organisation. The role is reactive and you will need to be able to respond quickly to needs and request for maintenance. No day is ever the same!
Bristol, Patchway Police Centre- BS34 6PY
In this role you will interact with many different colleagues and departments ranging from response officers, neighbourhood teams, police staff, investigations and many more. Our team is crucial in ensuring that we provide a good working environment for all our colleagues as well as ensuring that all police vehicles are clean, well maintained and road worthy so that our uniformed colleagues are safe and able to respond to the public.
Our team played a very important role recently with the pandemic ensuring that we keep people safe in the workplace by rearranging furniture to maintain social distancing, displaying posters, collecting and distributing PPE and installing hand sanitiser at all entrances, meeting rooms and exits. In this team you will really make a difference to all staff, as our services are crucial to enable staff to work comfortably in the workplace.
Every individual that works for us, is in some way supporting and serving the community we represent, we simply could not do the jobs we do without them.
What we offer:
How we reward you is linked to our culture, it’s about more than just salary. Through a package of financial, lifestyle and health benefits, we support whatever stage of life you’re in and the moments that matter.
If you want to go home challenged and satisfied every day or night, working for an organisation that has a clear vision in providing outstanding policing for everyone, you won’t want to miss this opportunity.
In this role, your main responsibilities will include:
• Undertaking maintenance and responding quickly to requests for service, including minor electrical work such as changing light bulbs/tubes, altering time switches, as well as grounds maintenance, basic carpentry and plumbing.
• Transporting goods, post, parcels and scientific items and associated paperwork around the force area as the agreed rota.
• Assisting with office moves including the removal and storage of furniture and setting up meeting rooms ensuring equipment and supplies required are available.
• Regular testing and checking of fire alarms, panic alarms and exit doors, also emergency lighting and generators.
• Undertaking stock checks, ordering and accepting delivery of goods.
• Minor maintenance of police vehicles/cycles, including changing wheels, light bulbs, checks of fuel, oil, water, tyres and regular cleaning (washing and vacuming). Also arranging service and MOT’s for vehicle fleet and deliver and collect to appropriate location.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
• A full current driving licence is essential and you must be prepared to become an authorised driver including the taking of additional DVLA driving test if required.
• Basic IT skills are required as you will receive work related requests via email and you will need to submit worksheets/monthly returns etc electronically.
• You will need to be able to lift and move office equipment, furniture and supplies.
• Previous experience in this type of work, combining clerical work and maintenance skills, including basic vehicle maintenance such as changing tyres/wheels and driving van type vehicles would be beneficial, however training will be provided.
• You need to be able to act on your own initiative and work with minimum supervision.
• Due to the tasks involved in this role it would be desirable for you to have a basic knowledge of manual handling and health and safety practices.
Due to the nature of vehicles we use the post holder must be 21 years or older, we therefore are unable to accept applications from people under the age of 21 for this role.
To be eligible to apply for this role you must have a 3 year ‘checkable history’ in the UK – ideally this means that you would have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.
Does this sound like the role for you? Click the link below to apply.
We are looking for people who share our values of caring, inclusive, courageous and learning.
To find out more about our Inclusive Culture
To enable us to deliver outstanding policing for everyone, we need people from all backgrounds with a range of professional and life experiences so that we are truly representative of our communities.
Why work for Avon and Somerset Police?
Avon and Somerset Police has gained a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force, responsible for policing a large diverse, multi-cultural population.
If you are looking for a fresh challenge which offers a genuine opportunity to make a real difference to people’s lives, variety and the chance to broaden your experience, then Avon and Somerset is the force for you.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We are working hard to increase diversity and inclusion within the Constabulary, where communities are under-represented, including those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities, people of all ages, abilities, faiths, religions and gender, LGBT communities and those from other disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds, who share our values and wish to make a difference to the communities we serve.
All applications will be treated on merit, based on the evidence provided in your application and suitability for the role you have applied for.
All requests for flexible working patterns will be considered and will be dependent on the role.
Recruitment and Selection Policy
Internal applicants who are at risk of redundancy or in need of redeployment and pass the selection process, will be offered the role over the remaining internal and external applicants.
Police Barred and Advisory lists
Individuals placed on the Police Barred and Advisory lists will not be considered for employment by the police for a minimum of 5 years from the date of listing in the case of gross misconduct, or 3 years from the date of listing in the case of poor performance.
Vetting and safeguarding
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to safeguarding and operate safer recruitment processes, to ensure a police service that employees are proud to work for because they feel safe, valued and part of a happy and supportive work environment. All employees and volunteers therefore will be subject to background checks including vetting and references.