We are recruiting for a Head of Operations in Taunton.
The Channel Group comprises Channel Training Ltd, Channel Adventure CIC and Channel UK Events CIC.
Channel Adventure CIC is a not-for-profit organisation that believes in making the outdoors and adventure accessible to everyone. Adventure is not something that necessarily has to involve hours of driving in a minibus to get somewhere, huge mountains and wild rivers – the very best adventure you can have, is the one on your doorstep.
We aim to provide a springboard into a lifetime of self-led outdoor and adventurous activities that promote health, wellbeing and a deeper connection to our outdoor spaces. This ethos runs throughout the Channel Group and the successful applicant will be pivotal in its continual development and promotion.
The Head of Operations is responsible for the day to day business of Channel Adventure, reporting to the company directors. This requires innovative leadership, creative product development, management of staff and resources, delivery of activities, management and maintenance of equipment, assurance of quality and safety and positive promotion of the brand and associated work within the wider business of Channel Group.
About Channel Adventure CIC
Channel Adventure provides adventurous activity and outdoor learning experiences for a broad but well defined range of customers. We work from centres in Taunton and Minehead, and use venues across the South West as appropriate.
At COACH, Taunton
- School and college work, both curricular and extra-curricular (can also involve work on school sites).
- National Citizenship Service (NCS) day work.
- Funded provision for specialist groups.
- Children and family groups – eg birthday parties.
- Adult groups – eg Stag and Hen, Business in Action.
- Hire – bikes, kayaks, SUP.
At The Adventure Centre, Minehead
- Seasonal offer of bookable adventure days for children, families and groups.
- Coastal activities to support other Channel work.
- Seasonal hire – bikes, kayaks, SUP, beach fun equipment such as wetsuits, bodyboards, scooters.
- Community engagement work.
The Head of Operations leads a staff of seasonal, freelance and Apprentice instructors to deliver the above.
About the Role
- Leadership and management of high quality outdoor and adventurous activities for a range of clients
- Line management of staff and lead on Apprentice development
- Management of activity resources, venues, accommodation, vehicles and equipment
- Development of the company’s Safety Management System including ongoing improvement and review of Risk Assessments and Operating Procedures
- Design of activities, courses and adventure programmes
- Day to day administration and record keeping for all programmes and activities
- Website and booking system maintenance.
- Sales and Marketing to include social media development, maintenance and communication.
- Maintaining communication with, and reporting to, the Technical Director
- Supporting the company in the smooth running of the business and responding flexibly and creatively to opportunities and challenges
- Upholding the core values and driving philosophy of the company
Client Care and Activity Delivery
Leading and managing staff to:
- Build and maintain close relationships with all clients
- Monitor quality and driving the Quality Improvement processes of the company
- Support all customers on courses and activities to achieve their best and access learning opportunities
- Uphold the company’s commitments to Equality and Diversity and Environmental Sustainability
- Respond consistently and effectively to customer communications via email, social media, phone and in person.
You will be accountable for the following within Channel Adventure:
- Centre management – Based at COACH in Taunton but managing seasonal provision at the Adventure Centre, Minehead Beach.
- Programme development and implementation – school and college provision, DofE, specific contract work.
- Communication with venue and facilities providers and subcontractors.
- Staff induction, training, line management and records. This includes staff appraisal through regular management and peer observation, overview of kit and conduct.
- Booking system and team rotas.
- Website and social media.
- Sales and marketing across the customer base.
- Operational decision making (with support the Technical Director)
- Readiness for inspections
- Kit and stores
You relish challenges, love working with a diverse range of people and constantly strive to improve. You have a creative streak and are excited about developing new products and promoting the company’s work. You are committed to the values underpinning what we do and are passionate about how Outdoor Learning changes lives. You are a skilled and thoughtful manager with experience of leading teams in a range of settings.
You have modern high-level skills in ICT, communication, literacy and numeracy. You have excellent customer service skills and a naturally engaging, positive manner. You are proficient in social media and face to face marketing.
You show a well-developed understanding of the place of outdoor learning and the benefits of outdoor and adventurous activities for individuals and groups. You have experience of working within the outdoor sector and are connected to it through industry bodies and wider development.
Skills and knowledge requirements
- Show a well-developed understanding of the place of outdoor learning and the benefits of outdoor and adventurous activities for a range of client groups
- Show commitment to ongoing personal and professional development
- Maintain a range of appropriate National Governing Body Awards
- Hold a full UK driving licence, preferably with B1 + E or D1 + E
Behaviours and attributes
- Drive, determination and real passion for outdoor learning
- Professionalism and contribute towards a positive working environment
- Self-motivated and able to contribute to a team environment
- Alignment with the company’s purpose, values and ways of working
- Highly organised and efficient with the ability to work at pace and consistently deliver
- Desire to exceed client’s expectations
- Confident, strong communicator who is articulate and empathetic
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively
- Polite, personable and reasonable
Remuneration and How to Apply
First of all – if you have any questions or would value a conversation about the role do get in touch for an informal chat; we’d like to hear from you.
- £22-26k per annum; full time, permanent position
- Allowable expenses paid
- Company clothing provided
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities
To apply: email your CV (including 2 references) and covering letter to adventure @ channelgroup .co .uk
Closing date: 29th January 2021 at Mid-day.
Interview via Zoom: Monday 3rd February 2021
Start date: 26th February 2021
Please note that these dates are subject to prevailing Covid-19 restrictions both nationally and within our industry.
Email us: adventure@ channelgroup .co.uk
Call us: 01643 708715