HR Administration Apprentice
Do you have a learning disability and want to become an apprentice? Do you want to receive excellent training to develop your skills whilst you are working and being paid? Do you want to improve your skills in English and Maths?
Somerset County Council are looking for a HR&;OD (Human Resources and Organisational Development) Admin apprentice. The role is specifically designed for young people with autism, learning disabilities or learning difficulties.
You will get the opportunity to join a dynamic team and work on a variety of different and engaging projects throughout our HR&OD service. You will be based at our offices at County Hall in Taunton. This apprenticeship will be a partnership with the Royal Mencap Society.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
Main Responsibilities and Duties
Under supervision deliver entry level clerical and administrative support to the team / service as required including:
- Monitor the team email inbox, responding to queries and passing information to relevant team members.
- Arrange meetings (including equipment needs);
- Update and maintain a variety of records and filing systems in support of the work of the team. Use computerised systems to input and extract data.
- Assist in report writing to showcase the work of the team to senior colleagues. Could involve attendance meetings
Contributes, as requested, to the ongoing training and development offer for all staff:
- Support delivery of training sessions, either face to face or virtual;
- Work with senior members of staff to design and construct new e-learning for the SCC workforce.
- Support in the maintenance of the online learning system, The Learning Centre.
- Support colleagues in Digital Information Management, ensuring information is communicated across the organisation through our Learning and Development Platforms.
- Work with colleagues to organise and maintain team communications and documentation using software such as MS Teams, MS Planner and SharePoint.
Works with senior members of staff to influence workforce planning; assisting teams in recruiting Young People into the workforce;
- Attending careers fairs, run by various local and regional training providers;
- Assist in designing and running work experience sessions for local students;
- Advising and influencing on marketing materials used to engage with young people through partners such as the Somerset Education Business Partnership.
- Work with our communications team to design materials including videos – used to engage Young People across Somerset
Works alongside HR Colleagues within the Working Well Team to support all activities;
- Check inbox and acknowledge emails daily
- Update calendar of events weekly
- Maintain spreadsheet of activities weekly
- Share relevant information as identified by the team on yammer weekly
- Collate monthly statistics
- Support wellbeing challenges
Understand, uphold and promote the aims of the council’s equality, diversity and inclusion policies; health, safety and wellbeing of self and others; and Organisational values in everything you do. Equality and Diversity practice covers both interaction with staff, service users and communities and includes challenging discrimination and promoting equality of opportunity for all.
You will be supported by your Line manager and other colleagues in the HR&OD Service. You will have contact with a variety of individuals within the Council, via phone or email.
You will undertake a Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner apprenticeship with the Royal Mencap Society. This apprenticeship will last for between 12-15 months and you will be entitled to spend 7 of your contracted hours per week working on this apprenticeship. You can find out more about this apprenticeship at: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/customer-service-practitioner-v1-1
A few things about you
- Basic typing and computing skills
- Able to keep accurate records
- Good communication skills
- Take responsibility for their own development
- Be positive about working for Somerset County Council and demonstrate this to all the people they come into contact with work well with all of their colleagues
- Team work
- Safe working practices
- Professional conduct and attendance
- Able to work effectively without direct supervision
- Maths and English at entry level 3 or equivalent or Higher
- The ability to work towards level 1 Maths and English
Apprentices will have the opportunity to apply for various positions on completion of the apprenticeship or will be supported to progress into similar positions with other employers.
Things to consider
- You will work in an office with other people and do jobs such as answering the phone, speaking to customers, photo copying etc.
Please ensure you list your GCSE’s on your application form
Salary: National Minimum Wage Pay Rates for an Apprentice: 16-17: £4.62, 18-20: £6.56, 21-22: £8.36, 23+: £8.91 (per hour)
For further information about this role, please contact Misha Liddiatt, Senior Project Officer, on 01823 357977
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.