Independent Safeguarding & Reviewing Officer
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for additional Independent Reviewing Officers (IRO) to join our Children’s Advocacy and Independent Reviewing Service.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working including some working from home, compressed hours, job shares and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of an established, experienced team of practitioners who have a passion for ensuring children receive the best care and support possible. We pride ourselves on our supportive team culture and our willingness to embrace learning to improve our knowledge, practice and outcomes for the families we are working with.
Team members say:
“There is good morale and a supportive team culture. There is always someone available to respond to a dilemma whether it is a query about the IT system or the need for a reflective discussion about a family”. (CPC/IRO)
“We are a bunch of individuals who happen to be working together: our relationships, focus and direction with our ways of working and collaborating together means that the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts”. (IRO/CPC)
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
In Somerset, IROs are expected to deliver on all aspects of the Independent Reviewing Officer Handbook, chairing reviews for looked after children and young people, chairing child protection conferences and chairing annual reviews for Foster Carers. You will liaise closely with social work teams through consultation and have oversight of progression of plans for children. You will work closely with the Local Authority Designated Officer and at times cover the role.
You will have a pivotal role in quality assurance and the opportunity to contribute and make a difference to improving outcomes for children. You will be expected to promote high standards of care and support to children who are looked after by the Local Authority and to children who have a child protection plan.
A few things about you
We’re looking for someone who has excellent communication skills, is passionate about relationship-based social work and has a good understanding of planning for children. You should have post-qualifying experience of children and family social work including substantial experience in child protection and planning for looked after children. Experience in chairing complex meetings and a good working knowledge of childcare legislation is required.
You must be a qualified Social Worker and be registered with Social Work England. You must also have experience of supervising qualified staff within a relevant professional setting. There is an element of travel involved across Somerset, we can be flexible with regards to an office base.
If you have the necessary skills and experience for this post, we look forward to hearing from you.
Feel free to get in touch if you want more information, you can contact Jane Sprague on 07824082102.
Interview Date: 20 August 2021. All interviews will be taking place virtually, via MS Teams.
*We recommend applying early as vacancy will close once a number of applications is reached*.
Salary £41,881 per annum/pro rata for part time hours.
As this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English. More information is in our job pack.
Why choose Somerset County Council
- A supportive team and organisational culture
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home
- An extensive training offer and a range of continuing professional development opportunities
- Enrolment into our Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme
- Employee Assistance and support offering a variety of employee wellbeing services to help with a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
- ‘My staff shop’ offering discounts at a variety of retailers including cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
- Generous relocation allowance
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.