Product Development Technician – Aquatics
What are we looking for
We have a rare vacancy for a Product Development Technician, based in our Development team in Taunton, Somerset.
The job role is to enhance the Company’s reputation for product innovation, refinement and reliability by developing and maintaining test facilities for new and returned products. It also includes responsibilities to maintain site housekeeping standards to company specification
- To test new products (owned and 3rd Party) to ascertain reliability/limitations and identify design weaknesses both hardware & software. Work with NPD and Regulatory Control Manager, Development Managers and Far East Sourcing Manager to optimise function and reliability.
- To liaise with Development Managers to establish ‘critical to quality’ (CQC) specifications for all new products for sign off by vendors.
- To create new product instructions with the support of the Development Managers.
- To create test methodology for all NPD including electrical and mechanical equipment.
- To identify, create & setup new spares for new products with the support of the Development Managers.
- To analyse returned product and identifying product weaknesses and potential QC problems. Work with Far East Sourcing Manager to action improvements with suppliers.
- To generate the monthly ERA MAT analysis, reporting findings to Development Managers and Far East Sourcing Manager
- As required, examine sample products from shipments to ensure compliance with manufacturing specifications previously agreed with vendors and reporting any deviations to Development Managers.
- Day to day site management of the Taunton test facilities including the Fish House, Pond Area, Dry Office Area and Product Returns Area. To ensure site housekeeping standards are maintained at all times. Conduct quarterly housekeeping audits and action items arising.
- Customer Care – To test products returned to the Sales & Customer Support Team referring to suppliers where appropriate and also writing reports with recommendations. Also, where required directly assist customers in resolution of product issues.
- To manage the department post and packing budget, arrange and track on-going parcels as appropriate.
Education – Minimum of five GCSEs ideally A – C grades including Maths, English and Science
Desirable Qualifications – Level 3 Fisheries Management course
Intermediate level in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Practical DIY ability
Creative, enthusiastic, fun and outgoing
Self-starter, motivated to deliver with little supervision.
An eye for detail
Able to effectively manage multiple projects and organise workload so as to meet all deadlines.
Desirable Characteristics: Aquatic hobbyist