Kitchen Porter / Wash Up Operative
HOURS AND SHIFTS:
Variable but including the following:
Breakfast: 8.00am ~ 3.00pm, Evening 6 ~ Close,
Kitchen Shifts: 8.00am ~ 4pm, or 4pm ~ Close.
PERSONS DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE TO:
The Proprietors, Duty Managers, Head of Department.
- To provide an efficient, clean and organised wash-up cycle of crockery, cutlery and other goods in the wash-up areas.
- To ensure that the kitchen is kept clean and tidy, pots and pans cleaned, maintained and ready for the Chefs as required.
- To provide a safe working environment in the kitchen, wash up and back of house areas.
- To ensure the smooth running of these areas you need good organisation skills and ability to avoid a backlog of washing-up.
- To uphold all health and safety laws / regulations to high standards.
Other duties to include:
- Keeping the back and front of house clean and tidy.
- Emptying bottles and waste bins.
- To ensure empty cardboard boxes are removed from all areas, broken down flat and placed in the correct refuse container.
- To assist the reception office by carrying guests’ luggage to and from their rooms. (As required)
- To assist in other areas and departments of the hotel when asked to do so by Management.
MAIN TASKS AND DUTIES
- Maintain the kitchen cleanliness in accordance to food hygiene regulations using correct chemicals on the correct surfaces/appliances.
- Washing of all the pots and pans and other equipment used in the kitchen.
- Ensuring the back of house areas are clean and dry to prevent any accidents.
- Ensuring the bin areas are neat, clean and tidy at all times.
- Assisting the Head Chef / Sous Chef as they see fit in the preparation of food.
- Ensuring at the end of the shift that everything is cleaned and the floor is swept and mopped ready for the next day’s business.
- Any other reasonable task asked by a member of management.
1. Washing of pots and pans and utensils.
2. Cleaning as per the cleaning schedule.
3. Mop all floor areas
4. Wipe down all walls.
5. Preparing any food item as specified by the head / sous chef.
MAIN TASKS AND DUTIES;
At the beginning of your shift;
- Fill dish washing machine and make sure it has been cleaned from the night before.
- Check the dish washing soap and rinse aid and refill if needed.
- Check all bins are empty and refill with new black bags.
- Fill bucket with hot water and soap for dirty cutlery.
- Scrape and soak all dirty china and cutlery and rinse before putting into the dishwasher.
- Fill baskets in an efficient order and properly assorted to provide clean wash up cycle & to prevent damage occurring.
- Never put a half-load in as this is not efficient. Except for last dishes at the end of the night.
- Leave all dishes to dry for the advised time before stacking.
- All dishes to be checked if clean and dry, if dirty, wash again.
- Handle all glass, china and other breakables with care
- Store all dishes safe and clean in provided places
- All glassware to be washed at the end of the shift, (use the glass washer as directed)
- All glassware has to be dried properly, cooled down and the glasses must be sorted out – the Restaurant glasses staying in the restaurant and the bar glasses to be brought back to the Bar.
- The water in the machine has to be changed using your own initiative, if washing results are not 100% satisfactory.
- Drying cloth to be changed as necessary
- Cutlery has to be sorted out and separated into the correct sizes and types.
AT THE END OF THE SESSION, YOU SHOULD:
- Empty, clean and wash out your machine
- Put away all cutlery and china
- Wipe down your work surfaces and clean your sink plus all area under/around sink
- Empty your rubbish bins and refill with new bin liners
- If you intend to leave some washing-up, first obtain permission, either leave it soaking or ask the night porter to do it for you.
- Bring all dirty linen to the chambermaid’s room and replace with clean ones.
- Make sure that the floor is clean – Please use correct signage to display whilst cleaning is in progress
- When returning stuff to the kitchen, empty the lift as it stretches the cables
- Check the food area looks tidy and presentable.
- Refill the washing up liquid containers for the next shift.