L2 Commis Chef Apprentice
We are looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Commis Chef to join the team. This role is ideal for an Apprentice Commis Chef who is genuinely keen on a career producing excellent dishes using fresh produce. We have a great team who really get on really well together and are looking for a trainee Chef for our Farm Shop Cafe.
Duties will include:
- Preparing and cooking ingredients including fruit, meat, vegetables and fish/seafood
- Cooking breakfast and lunches with occasional evening events
- Making desserts and cakes and savouries as required
- Keeping working area clean and hygienic
- Keeping appropriate records as required
- Washing up equipment as necessary
- Developing new ideas with the team
Working as a team alongside the Chef and sometimes covering when Chef is on leave. The role involves working under our Head Chef Carl Smith. He is a great guy and was Chef to Richard Branson on his private retreat in the Caribbean, Necker Island, cooking for many famous people including Princess Diana. He went on to run his own Cafe and Deli in Cheltenham, Carl prepares and cooks rustic, simple but tasty dishes and is a great innovator using whatever is available.
Requirements and prospects
- Good knowledge of food hygiene and health & safety
- Good knife skills
- Good prep skills beneficial
- Good communication skills
- We are looking for a person who has a passion for food wanting to deliver great service and is a team player
- Passionate about the industry and keen to learn
- Able to take instructions and carry out duties appropriately
- Someone who can learn from mistakes and move forward
The ideal candidate will have 5 GCSE in the range of 9-3 (A* to E), including English and maths (or equivalent qualifications). Individual employers will set the selection criteria for the applicant. Individuals who have not yet achieved English and maths at GCSE Grade D / Functional Skills Level 1 (or equivalent qualification) or abovewill need to do so in order to complete this Apprenticeship.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be qualified to work as a Commis chef. Progression from this apprenticeship is expected to be into a chef de partie role or senior production chef role. We would like to offer a permanent role if all goes well.
Things to consider
The hours would be normally 8am to 3 pm including weekend working and the occasional evening but days and hours are flexible with statuary holidays. The pay is the National Minimum Wage according to age. Attendance at College, one day a week during term time. The successful applicant has the potential to develop their own dishes and develop the menu both on savoury and dessert dishes and products to sell in the farm shop.
About the employer
Bridgwater & Taunton College
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Bridgwater & Taunton College
Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard No. 93 Commis Chef:
- Level 2 Commis Chef – Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
- Functional skills at level 1 and/or 2 in English and maths as required (exemptions apply)
The successful candidate will also need to complete a diagnostic assessment, which will help us plan the appropriate support required to meet your individual needs.
Level 2 (GCSE)