Lawyer – Corporate and Commercial
We have a 22.2 hours per week opportunity for a Lawyer – Corporate and Commercial to join us on a 12 month fixed term contract. Could be made permanent subject to discussions.
We are offering a salary of up to £23,334 per annum , a recruitment allowance of up to £5,000 pro rata may be available.
Somerset County Council is looking for an ambitious and highly motivated, Solicitor, Barrister or FCILEx to join its Corporate and Commercial legal team.
The Corporate and Commercial team supports Somerset County Council in a range of areas including projects, procurement, contracts, commercial, employment and governance. The Council works in partnership with a number of other public sector organisations, has interests in a range of Community Interest Companies, Special Purpose Vehicles and trusts, and takes a commissioning-led approach to service delivery.
Our lawyers have the opportunity to make an impact on every facet of the Council’s work, advising members and senior officers on matters of high financial and social value.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
As a Solicitor in the Corporate and Commercial team you will provide specialist legal advice and assistance on a range of issues relating to:
• the contracting and procurement process;
• employment issues in commercial transactions;
• state aid;
• local authority powers and duties;
• outsourcing, Special Purpose Vehicles and public sector partnerships;
• information governance;
• commercial disputes.
A few things about you
While some local authority experience would be an advantage, we are looking for someone who is commercially aware and has the desire to develop a career in local government. You will be a confident communicator with excellent organisational skills. You will be required to work with a minimum of supervision and provide support to other members of the team. A flexible approach and positive commitment to effective team working are essential.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English
For an informal discussion please telephone Tom Woodhams on (01823) 355016.
All interview will take place virtually via MS Teams
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Share this job