Somerset County Council are recruiting for a Learning Mentor – Virtual School.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Inclusion Somerset, as part of Somerset’s Virtual School & Learning Support Team on a 20 hour, term time only permanent contract. This post within the team is intended to promote better educational outcomes for Children Looked After (CLA).
The role of the Virtual School & Learning Support Team when working with Children Looked After is to:
- Promote high aspirations and raise achievement for CLA through challenge, support and targeted intervention
- Ensure that children and young people in care access high quality learning
- Work closely with all partners involved in the care and education of looked after children and young people
- Provide advice and guidance to relevant parties supporting the education of Previously Looked After children and young people (PLAC)
- Support children and young people in care into education and employment.
We ensure that every child and young person in care has a school place, a current Personal Education Plan and is attending education full-time. Children looked after are entitled to additional support and funding in order to help them meet their potential.
They must have clear educational outcomes agreed through a Personal Education Plan so that the Virtual School & Learning Support Team can accurately support and monitor their progress.
You will need to liaise with the VS&LST, colleagues in schools and colleges, as well as Children’s Social Care to support, monitor and help deliver on the agreed plans. There will also be opportunities to work directly with young people, through meeting to discuss their aspirations or supporting them in their education settings.
You will be passionate about improving the life opportunities for children and young people in care, proactive, flexible and solution focused.