An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Medical Secretary to work within the Gastroenterology Department at Musgrove Park Hospital.
The post is part time – 20 hours per week, working Monday to Friday.
The ideal candidate will have 2 years previous NHS experience and be proficient in medical audio transcription. As well as being part of the busy secretarial team, you will be required to prioritise your own workload on a day to day basis.
Excellent IT and communication skills along with a good typing speed are essential for this role.
Main duties of the job
To provide a complete medical secretarial service to specialty teams (including Out Patient and Reception duties if appropriate to specialty). To organise own workload and work closely with Band 4s. To work within
the Trust values and core standards to maintain an excellent patient experience at all times.
The post holder will be required to work flexibly across the Trust in a variety of specialties.
The post holder is required to maintain the Trust’s values and core standards and to lead by example.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Prioritise own work efficiently and effectively, working within the secretarial team to ensure Trust targets for all administrative duties are met, highlighting any issues to the Band 4. Liaise with other secretarial team members to ensure fair distribution of workload.
Have knowledge of clinic activity, with a full understanding of the specialty clinic template to ensure appropriate out patient booking – reporting any inconsistencies to the Band 4 at an early stage.
Have knowledge of specialty in patient waiting list and theatre template. Place patient encounter onto the in patient waiting list, scheduling into theatre list and re-ordering of theatre list when required
- RSA/OCR III WP/Typing or equivalent
- AMSPAR or British Medical Secretary Diploma (includes medical terminology) or equivalent knowledge
- Good Standard of General Education
- ECDL or equivalent
- Audio typing/word processing
- Previous NHS administration experience (2 years minimum)
- Medical audio typing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office suite
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Working knowledge of in house hospital systems
- Proven experience of successfully working in a team environment
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills on the telephone, via email , face to face and in written correspondence
- Ability to multi task and organise own time
- Able to cope in a busy working environment
- Minute taking and transcribing (or be willing to undertake training)