Multi-skilled Electrical Craftsperson (Electrical Bias)
To be part of a team providing front line delivery of maintenance, defect & Breakdown response and Pre-Planned maintenance tasks.
To complete new and alteration works within the post holders skills and experience both during and out with normal hours
Main duties of the job
Undertaking maintenance, repairs, minor improvement and capital work across the Trust as directed by management, ensuring compliance with Trust safety standards and procedures. An element of multi-skilling across Estates trades will be required.
The object of the job is to contribute to the delivery of effective, efficient and economical day-to-day maintenance, new and alteration works to ensure the safety of patients, staff and members of the public.
Some of the main duties are but not limited to the list below; you may be required to carry out other duties relating to the work of the department.
Working for our organisation
Are you tired of working long hours away from home? Looking to work Monday to Friday in a role that offers variety with a good work/life balance and a great benefits package?
If the answer is yes, then we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for a dynamic Multi-Skilled Craftsperson – (Electrical bias) to join our busy, friendly and supportive Estates & Facilities Department in the Taunton area. Our Estates Department is made up of a team of in total.
You will be part of the team who are responsible for the delivery of a comprehensive electrical maintenance and other tasks across the Trust’s estates ensuring all work is performed in accordance with the requirements of Health & Safety and other relevant legislation.
The hours are 8.00am – 4.00pm weekdays and we will only ask that you are on-call for 1 week out of 5
Previous Electrical Engineer experience within a large organisation and a recognised apprenticeship / structured training programme in electrical engineering are essential for this role
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- If required take on further Competent or Authorised person Duties
- To work in accordance with the statutory requirements of Health Technical Memorandums (HTM’s) on Electrical Safety Code for Low Voltage Systems HTM 06-02, Sterilization HTM2010 (CFPPO – 101), MGPS HTM 02 and Water Supplies HTM 2027 and appointed Competent Person for the Trust.
- Accepting responsibility for work under controlled conditions endorsing documentation to confirm instruction received and understood and that only tasks contained in the working instruction will be performed.
- Understanding of the functionality and repair of the type electrical systems installed in a healthcare environment.
- Flexible approach to deal with unknown circumstances as and when they occur.
- Carry out the duties of an electrician
- Prepared to learn new techniques and technologies that are supported by internal and external training as the service dictates.
- To work in accordance with the Trust’s Permit to Work (PTW) systems for Potentially Dangerous Plant, Confined Spaces, and Laboratory Working. Ensuring NO public access to dangerous areas by securing work area and displaying appropriate signage warning of danger. This can be supported by verbal communication.
- To undertake risk assessments as required for work in hazardous areas taking account of all safety measures to prevent danger, avoid injury and prevent damage to equipment.
Estates & Facilities Maintenance Crafts person (Electrical bias) V1
- To feedback ideas for improvements financial, energy efficiency, resource or patient experience
- To positively encourage legislative, Mandatory & site specific safety rules compliance within the team
- To communicate with individuals, teams of personnel or complete departments who may be affected by work procedures and processes being carried out.
- Bring to the immediate attention of line managers and supervisors any defect or hazard that may affect the operational needs of the organisation or compromise the health and safety of any individual member of staff, visitor or patient.
- Actively participate in the operation of the NHS labour control scheme by working within the scheme including completion of all paperwork required of the scheme. (Including completion of all job dockets and timesheets).
- Work overtime to carry out emergency repairs as required by management.
16. Undertake on-call duties as part of the on-call team to ensure that emergency repairs occurring out of normal hours are attended to promptly. During these periods the post holder may be required to carry out work of a nature that is not their core trade. The post holder should not attempt to carryout tasks beyond their technical capabilities. Actions may require liaison with On-Call Estates Officer, Hospital Staff, Relatives, Patients and Clients as part of the on-call rota.
- Required to carry Trust communication devices (iPhone will be provided) to facilitate immediate contact when emergency re-prioritisation of work is required i.e. fire alarms, Boiler plant, Lifts etc.
- Required on a daily basis under the direction of the Maintenance Officer/ Electrical Technician to organise and prioritise own workload.
- Bring to the immediate attention of the line manager or supervisor any defect or hazard that may affect the operational needs of the organization or compromise the Health & Safety of any group or individual member of staff, visitors or patient.
- Undertake essential repair works and general maintenance activities at the request of the Maintenance Office.
- To liaise with Maintenance Office regarding plant or equipment failures and Storemen to request the supply of goods and / or services as necessary.
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance inspections and commissioning tests in accordance with Trust procedures.
- Complete on average on a weekly basis report sheets and test certificates as necessary to provide an audit trail for quality management and statutory purposes.
- Utilise, monitor, control and adjust the Building Management Computer System (BMS). To pro-actively determine faults on plant and equipment installed to provide a comfortable, safe environment for patients, visitors and trust employees and to seek opportunities to reduce energy consumption
- Maintain the Hydrotherapy pool within safe chemical and temperature conditions for use by patients involving the daily testing of water quality. Add chemicals daily subject to the results to maintain acceptable water quality. Monitor and adjust water temperature on a daily basis.
- Carry out weekly tests and maintenance on steam sterilisers and washer disinfectors to ensure statutory compliance and to advise the Sterile Services Manager on their suitability for use in accordance with HTM2010 (CFPPO – 101) and HTM 2030. All results are recorded in the Steriliser logbook and forms part of documented legal process, once trained
- Work with, advice and lease with Specialist Maintenance Contractors to ensure statutory compliance of engineering equipment and plant
Essential and Desirable
We recognise that our staff are our most valuable resource, we are proud of the excellent levels of service our Trust provides to our service users and the dedication and conscientious of our staff. With this in mind, we offer a range of staff benefits including:
Excellent annual leave entitlement
Relocation package – up to £8,000 (Subject to eligibility)
Enhanced rates of pay
NHS Pension Scheme
Free parking on most of our sites
Training and development
Paid registration fees for the 1st year for newly qualified staff
For more information please contact the recruitment team via email: SomersetNHSJobs@SomersetFT.nhs.uk