The Newt Somerset
The Newt in Somerset has ancient woodland, historic gardens and far reaching views. It is a unique destination with Hotel, Spa, Restaurants and much more. Visitors can take a tour of the gardens, deer park and cyder press, dine in the Garden Café and visit our farm shop. Attracting some 200,000 visitors per year, The Newt in Somerset is a vibrant and thriving attraction, animated throughout the seasons by special events, workshops and education programmes.
The Gardens Team (Gardens, Edibles, Nursery & Woodlands) are dedicated to understanding, developing, curating, protecting, and managing The Newts living collection of plants, in an environment where visitors are encouraged to experience and learn about plants, garden history, habitats and to enjoy the gardens. The team run several events and workshops for our visitors over the year which include the popular daily garden tours
You will be a keen and enthusiastic gardener who has a proven track record in a similar role. Formal training and a wide botanical knowledge is essential as is the understanding of plant nomenclature. A keen interest in Roman
We are looking for a team player who can truly make a difference to the upkeep and maintenance of our amazing gardens. Excellent presentation and communication skills are a must as our garden team regularly interact with our visitors throughout the day.
You will be responsible for our new Roman Villa Garden and this is where you will spend the majority of your time. The garden is as historically accurate as possible to what would have been planted in the gardens in 350AD in England. The gardens are part of the Roman Villa experience and you will have interaction with the public on a daily basis.
- Assists with the cultivation, maintenance and conservation of the Roman Villa Gardens.
- Assists with the implementation of new planting programs, landscaping schemes, maintenance plans and pest/disease control measures which enrich, maintain, and preserve The Newt’s living collection.
- Take a lead in planning works, ensuring high horticultural standards are maintained, displays are improved, and new features developed to inspire and educate visitors to The Newt.
- Assists colleagues in other areas of The Newt, where horticultural skills are required to support educational programs, events, research projects, displays and exhibitions which enhance visitor enjoyment.
- Assists with the preparation and delivery of horticultural talks and demonstrations to visitors, colleagues, local officials, and external bodies as directed.
- Engages with visitors responding to questions, exchanging information, and promoting The Newt’s reputation as a leading garden destination. Participate in education programs and conducts tours and workshops, when required, including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of two years of horticultural experience in a similar working environment.
- Certificate/Diploma and/or bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany or related field with 2 to 3 years’ experience; or 4 years of horticulture experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A passion for history and being able to pass this information on to visitors
- Hard-working and energetic with great communication skills
- Organised and a good manager of time.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Understanding of Health and Safety issues
- An eye for detail and desire to achieve high standards.
- Able to undertake work of a physical nature (including contact with plants and chemicals).
- Good basic skills in the care and operation of garden machinery, hand tools /equipment.
- Computer literate.
Benefits: Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment, fresh estate grown meal provided each day
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 15% Online Shop discount and Free Delivery
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Anniversary stay in the hotel each year, Dinner bed and breakfast.
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development opportunities
|Salary||£23,000 – £25,000 / Year|
|Experience||Minimum 2 years of experience|
|Location||A359, Hadspen, Bruton, Castle Cary BA7 7NG, UK|
|Expiry date||Tues, 8th Feb 2022|