Here at Somerset County Council, we’re looking for somebody to join our Planning and Development team as a Planning Officer.
We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
In this role, you’ll get the chance to specialise in minerals and waste, learning new skills and taking on important, high value projects – whilst gaining tonnes of experience to help you develop your career.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
As a Planning Officer in our team, you’ll:
- Provide general planning advice to officers of the Council, external applicants, and other interested parties
- Implement development management and planning decision-making, in accordance with our strategies and policies for securing sustainable development
- Support us in making clear and timely planning decisions, considering the needs of the community, and delivering excellent service
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, with opportunities for continued development and progression.
A few things about you
You may be looking for your fist role in planning (as a recent graduate, for example), or be a more experienced planner looking to specialise in a complex and rewarding subject matter.
You’ll have some understanding of planning legislation, and the ability to think analytically and communicate effectively (through, for example, written reports and presentations).
It is essential that you have a full driving licence and/or the ability to meet travel requirements of the role.
The salary for the role is Grade 11, ranging from £26,446 to £30,095 per annum
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Colin Arnold, Service Manger – Planning and Development, on 01823 357349
From 1 April 2023 the County and District councils in Somerset will be replaced by a new single unitary authority – Somerset Council. It’s a genuinely exciting time to join us as we work together with the four district councils to deliver the new council for Somerset.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a car or bicycle for work
• Staff benefit scheme offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits, holidays, gym membership and more.
Share this page