Post 16 Transition Coordinator
We are looking for a Post 16 Transition Coordinator to join the Education Partnership team, working 18.5 hours per week on a fixed term contract until 30 April 2023.
The Education Partnership team work across all phases to support our schools and colleges to realise the best education and life outcomes for our young people in Somerset.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
Working with a designated caseload allocated through consultation with the Somerset Virtual School to provide mentoring and support across Year 12 to include attendance at Annual Reviews and PEPS and to provide the support to engage the young people in education and training, and find placements where needed.
We are looking for a flexible and innovative project delivery coordinator to work closely with the SomersetWorks Transition College Head, the service team and partner organisations to build relationships and work with a variety of professionals to ensure that service delivery is part of co-ordinated and cohesive services to young people and their families.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing advice and guidance to young people with known vulnerability issues at specific points of transition into their post 16 destination;
- Engaging with achieving the strategic aims of the County to reduce NEETs (Not in Education, Employment or Training) and increase participation of the most vulnerable students across Somerset;
- Undertaking Transition Panel meetings and advise and work with young people and parents/carers to find the most appropriate way in which they can address and resolve issues that prevent engagement;
- Liaising between home and institutions and providing a direct line of communication and link between parties. Developing specific plans, in agreement with the young person, family and appropriate organisations;
- Meeting with young people with the purpose of empowering them to make the best use of their own resources and decision making to make a sustained and positive engagement in Post 16 activity;
- Devising, implementing and monitoring the effectiveness of action plans and suggest amendments to provide further assistance to the young person, families, post 16 organisations, etc;
- Liaising with other agencies to enable access to a wide range of services and opportunities that will support sustained engagement;
- Designing and delivering classes and support sessions as appropriate
A few things about you
You will have experience of supporting vulnerable young people in their transition to post 16 education, employment or training.
You will have experience of working in a school or college on post 16 transition activities.
You will have experience of working with schools, colleges and various agencies to support and deliver transition activities.
You will have the motivation to work with children, especially the most vulnerable.
You will have the ability to motivate and mentor students and show how empathy to their learner journey and circumstances.
You will have the ability to work effectively within a team and across institutions and complete tasks in a timely manner.
You will be flexible, innovative and forward thinking.
The salary for this role is Grade 12, ranging from £11,091 to £12,740 per annum.
For an informal discussion please contact Julie Young, Post-16 Advisor on 07977 401897 or email JAYoung@somerset.gov.uk.
All interviews will take place virtually via MS Teams.
Closing Date: 27 June 2021
Shortlisting Date: w/c 28 June 2021
Interview Date: w/c 5 July 2021
Provisionally looking at a September start.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
This job requires a criminal background check (DBS) via the disclosure procedure.