Here at Somerset County Council, we have an opportunity for an enthusiastic Project Manager to join our Major Projects team.
The team is responsible for delivering high profile construction schemes throughout the County, and is currently working on over £130m of schemes in a variety of sectors (education and commercial, for example).
Together, we provide advice and support to a range of service areas in relation to future and ongoing construction schemes.
What does this mean for you?
Well, it means you’ll have the opportunity to increase your skills, knowledge and experience by working on a wide range of projects.
You’ll be providing support on construction projects ranging in value up to £10m, so this could be a great opportunity if you’re looking to work with larger value contracts.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
Our team takes a modern and innovative approach to procurement and service delivery, and are committed to making a difference to our residents.
As a Project Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- Project programming
- Stakeholder management
- Contractor and consultant procurement
- Creating contract documentation
- Tender analysis
- NEC contract administration
- Reporting and post-contract duties
You’ll be the link between the client team and external designers and contractors and support key stakeholders, including Assistant Directors and Strategic Managers within the Council.
A few things about you
To take on this role, you’ll need:
- Experience of managing a range of construction projects
- The ability to communicate effectively with clients, consultants and contractors
- A track record of working with teams and managing projects by prioritising workloads and delivering to deadlines.
You’ll need to have a construction industry background, with a wide range of project exposure (either public or private sector is fine).
A relevant qualification (such as MAPM or PRINCE2) would be a bonus – but is not essential.
If you possess the above and have a “can do” approach we want to hear from you.
From 1 April 2023 the County and District councils in Somerset will be replaced by a new single unitary authority – Somerset Council. It’s a genuinely exciting time to join us as we work together with the four district councils to deliver the new council for Somerset.
For more information please contact Richard Morris, Acting Strategic Manager (Major Projects) via email firstname.lastname@example.org
This role is based in Taunton with flexibility to work from home and other locations. You must be prepared to travel to different locations in Somerset and on occasions further afield.
The salary for this role is £30,984 to £35,336 per annum, and incorporates a £1300 recruitment allowance which is secured for 3 years from appointment and will be reviewed for further extension.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Share this page