Property Strategy and Liaison Officer
Somerset County Council’s Property team is part of the County Council’s Economic and Community Infrastructure Directorate and is responsible for managing the Council’s property estate of land and buildings. The Group also provides
- operational services to corporate buildings such as facilities management, improvement works and repairs and maintenance;
- management of major building projects, including building new schools; and
- responsibility for the statutory health and safety and legislative compliance of the estate
The Group controls an annual revenue budget of around £6m and directly employs approx. 90 staff.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
- Analyse property needs of Council client departments and key partner organisations, translating these into strategies for optimising the corporate property estate and utilising property assets to support the council’s wider objectives.
- Take a lead role in engaging with partner organisations through joint working with health and other local partners, developing opportunities for shared property solutions.
- Lead the review of estate opportunities and the early scoping of property projects.
In conjunction with the Head of Property, the Strategic Manager, Estates, and the wider Corporate Property Management Team, contribute to the development of overarching asset management strategies and plans.
A few things about you
You will be familiar with the work of Local Government and have experience in strategy development, communication and relationship building, and have a track record of being able to translate complex scenarios into workable solutions.
You will have worked as part of a team, collaborating to achieve a common purpose
You will be used to building strong, productive relationships across services and organisations and recognise and adapt to different cultures and motivations that you encounter.
You will have led and facilitated stakeholder groups to discuss and evaluate complex matters and have experience in managing divergences of opinion to reach consensus that can be implemented.
You will enjoy the challenges that change brings and be enthusiastic in persuading others of the necessity of the disruption that normally accompanies it.
You will be self-motivated but be willing to learn and able to recognise where you need assistance and support. Ideally the successful applicant will have a relevant qualification in asset management; if the right candidate does not have this, they would be expected to undertake a qualification in asset management upon appointment (funding and study leave would be provided).
If this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
The salary for this role is £34,728 – £38,890 per annum.
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Charlie Field, Strategic Manager – Estates on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01823 355325, or Sian Powell, Programme Manager on email@example.com or 01823 359319.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.