Bishops Fox's School
DEPARTMENT / FACULTY: Science
REPORTS TO: Head of Science
SALARY: Grade 14 (actual £15,728)
WORKING HOURS: 37 hours per week
WORKING WEEKS: Term time only
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
- To provide technical support services to Science, including the preparation of materials, setting up of equipment for class practical sessions and maintaining equipment for use.
- To ensure the safeguarding of students and make a significant contribution to their efforts to both “enjoy and achieve”.
- To ensure that the appropriate equipment and resources are available and maintained to a satisfactory standard to support student learning. To provide day-to-day supervision and training of the science technician.
- To comply at all times with health and safety regulations.
- To provide first aid support to science department and whole school when required.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Organise the preparation and construction of materials and equipment/resources for use in lessons.
- Preparing and supplying equipment and chemicals for science lessons.
- Assembling apparatus as requested for required demonstrations.
- Delivery and removal of equipment from lessons. Checking and returning equipment to stores.
- The preparation of chemicals with the correct labelling, identifying names and hazard signs. Following COSHH requirements, as appropriate.
- Work as support to teachers in lessons as appropriate, including classroom assistance.
- Ensure that resources and equipment are maintained and stored correctly to provide a safe laboratory/classroom environment.
High Standards & High Expectations
- Ensure the safe disposal of broken equipment and used chemicals.
- Undertake structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes.
- Organise the use of display space within the department as directed by the head of department.
- Keeping up to date with the health and safety requirements and sharing this with the department.
- Keeping up to date with developments in practical science e.g. with changes to new GCSE Science curriculum
may require the trialling of experiments.
- To support in enrichment activities including: after school clubs, open evening and visits to external establishments.
- Keep a check on departmental stock levels and supporting the head of department to administer the ordering, issue and distribution of stock, including the completion and maintenance of inventories.
- Carry out routine administrative tasks for the department eg. photocopying, filing, collecting post, running errands, typing, data collection/processing and any other administrative tasks that might be necessary.
- Writing/collation of risk assessments for demonstrations and class practicals.
- Operate relevant equipment/ICT packages (e.g. MS Office, internet, intranet, E-mail, photography equipment).
- Maintain and repair the apparatus/ equipment used by the department and report other damages/needs.
- Construct items within the department to improve effective use of space and/or delivery of the curriculum.
- Maintain tidy and organised work spaces and storage areas.
- Maintenance of specialist apparatus/equipment, check apparatus/equipment and ensure health and safety guidelines are adhered to.
- Provide advice and guidance to staff, students, parents/carers and others.
- Ensure the well-being of livestock and plants.
- Consider the appropriate deployment of the science technician.
- Carrying equipment at busy times, movement of materials between two preparatory rooms.
- Special attention to the applicability of health and safety eg: COSHH in laboratories.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Science background, interest in sciences, science GCSE A Level/HNC, flexibility, empathy with students,interpersonal skills and judgement.