Seamstress – Freelance
REPORTS TO: The Senior Pattern Cutter
Overall Purpose: To make clothes by following the guidance of Design and Product Development.
- To measure clients and fit garments to them using various tools and equipment including fabric, needles, thread and sewing machines.
- To lengthen or shorten garments to fit clients properly or replace zippers.
- Take body measurements / make garments to a specified size
- Draw the outlines of the dress on the fabric, as per the measurements taken, and then cut the fabric using a pair of scissors. Once all the pieces of the dress are cut, the seamstress attaches the pieces together with pins before sewing them by using a sewing machine.
- Make finishing touches to the garment by sewing the buttons, zips or hooks etc
- To carry out mending, repairing or altering clothes e.g., sleeve and cuff
- Ability to sew.
- Thorough knowledge of zippers, fabric, buttons, linings and patterns.
- Manual dexterity and strong eye-hand coordination.
- Must be attentive to detail, demonstrate strong self-control, and be able to work well independently.
- Ability to communicate clearly with clients to determine their needs