Senior Secretary (Band 4)
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Administrator/Secretary to join our Home Treatment service based at Holly Court in Yeovil.
The role involves working within a dynamic and supportive multidisciplinary team who provide rapid assessment and intensive support to service users presenting in acute mental health crisis. We recognise that treatment for and recovery from acute mental illness is best provided in a patient’s own home and as a service we aim to support this as an alternative to hospital admission.
Excellent communication skills are essential to deal with calls from patients in distress, along with teamwork, flexibility and a ‘can do’ attitude which are all central to our approach.
The post holder will work closely with all members of the multidisciplinary team as well working independently to assist the Consultant Psychiatrist in their daily tasks.
Main duties of the job
To work as part of a team providing comprehensive secretarial support to the clinical consultants or department as directed.
Answering telephone calls on behalf of the team and dealing with them in a polite and efficient manner.
Typing of a wide range of documentation, for example letters, reports and meeting minutes. Documentation will frequently be of a confidential and sensitive nature and will require concentration and accuracy.
Supervise staff on a daily basis, carry out regular 1:1 meetings with staff under mentorship/supervision, recording progress and agreed action plans.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, fantastic pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will to experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- To work as part of a team providing comprehensive secretarial support to the Consultant, and other members of the team or department as directed.
- Answering telephone calls on behalf of the team and dealing with them in a polite and efficient manner. Enquiries/contact can be via telephone, correspondence, email or face-to-face requiring a sensitive and patient manner. The post holder will require a high level of competence and confidence with a strict requirement of confidentiality
- Typing of a wide range of documentation, for example letters, reports, discharge summaries, appointment letters, referral letters. Documentation will frequently be of a confidential and sensitive nature and will require concentration and accuracy.
- To prioritise own workload on a day-to-day basis, ensuring that any urgent referrals or tasks are highlighted to the appropriate personnel. To adjust the daily workload of the admin team according to changes in appointments, clinics or meetings as required.
- Assisting in the organisation of the workload of the Consultant and the team, arranging and coordinating diaries and preparing relevant paperwork for meetings as required.
- Maintain and monitor outpatient clinic referral letters.
- Ensuring all client files are kept up to date and accurate and stored securely in a confidential environment. Taking responsibility for the retrieval and return of files for clinics and liaising with external agencies as required when patients are transferred.
- To plan, organise and arrange meetings on behalf of the team. Preparing papers, booking accommodation and refreshments, taking minutes and circulating documentation appropriately.
- To provide daily supervision and positive leadership of the local administration team carrying out regular 1-1supervison/mentoring meetings, appraisals with staff recording progress and agreed action plans.
- Act as a positive role model and lead by example.
- Provide or arrange cross cover of colleagues during periods of absence, including acting up and down when required.
- In depth knowledge of and experience of advanced use of Microsoft Office applications, namely Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint and also Outlook email system.
- 5 x GCSE’s in Essential
- Supervision experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience of working at a senior secretarial level.
- Experience of dealing with multi-disciplinary teams and external agencies
- Diploma level/NVQ 3 in Business Administration or equivalent.
- ECDL or equivalent (or equivalent/working towards).
- Experience of dealing with sensitive and distressing issues.