Senior Social Work Assistant – Emergency Duty Team
The Emergency Duty Team (EDT) is located in the Express Park Police Centre in Bridgwater and contributes to the Safeguarding work of the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), ensuring children safeguarding referrals are prioritised as part of the County Council’s 24×7 First Response Service.
We are looking to appoint a Senior Social Work Assistant to join this busy, demanding service, working on a 4 week rota, Monday to Sunday, (including out of hours and bank holidays) for 18.5 hours per week.
You will be paid an enhancement of 26.3% for working at least 50% of contractual hours as night work between 8.00 pm and 6.00 am.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
You will contribute to the emergency assessment and provision of care and support to children and their families across the County who are experiencing emergency or crisis. You will assist the duty social workers with the assessment by phoning clients’ with urgent out of hour’s needs, giving advice and providing services and support to make situations safe until the next working day. You will staff the EDT office and receive incoming phone calls, alone at times, and in the absence of duty social workers on visits; working with a degree of autonomy, but also maintaining appropriate phone contact and consultation with the duty social workers.
Although essentially office-based, there will be times when you need to work from home. There will also be occasions when you will need to attend a police station as an Appropriate Adult for a juvenile or provide one to one support for a young person and their family.
A few things about you
- should have an NVQ 3 in Health and Social Care or a relevant qualification/experience, and will also have excellent people skills and an empathy and respect for vulnerable individuals.
- will be a good listener, committed to getting the best out of someone and should look for solutions that empower people wherever possible.
- will provide accurate typed reports of work undertaken.
- should have some previous experience (paid or unpaid) of social care (preferably Children’s Social Care but not essential) and a basic understanding of equal opportunities.
Basic IT knowledge is necessary although full training will be provided on our specific systems.
The salary range for this role is £12,439 to £13,733 per annum including a 23.6% enhancement for unsocial hours.
For further information or an informal discussion about this exciting opportunity, please contact:
Kelly Brewer, EDT Operations Manager, or Kelly Budd, Team Manager, on 02178 454067
All interviews will be taking place virtually, for example via Microsoft Teams
We anticipate offering and conducting interviews ahead of the closing date for suitable candidates.
As this role is customer facing you will need to speak fluent English.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.