Service Commissioning Manager Transport Policy
We have a fantastic opportunity in Somerset within our Highways and Transport Service. We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic person to join our team of commissioners who are responsible for determining the future direction of the Council’s services; developing policy and strategy, infrastructure programmes, new ways of working and transformation proposals. We offer both a flexible working environment and flexible working hours.
Our busy team commissions all highways and transport services for Somerset including passenger transport and parking services, highway maintenance, infrastructure programmes, rights of way, traffic management, engineering and road safety programmes.
We are responsible for developing policy and strategy, new transport plans and programmes for towns and transport corridors, active travel policy and programmes, plans for decarbonisation of the transport system, bids and business cases for new funding; and determining the most appropriate means of service delivery (considering in-house or contracted services including developing procurement strategies). We work closely with the Council’s operational services who are responsible for delivery.
We are passionate and committed to transforming our communities by enabling housing and economic growth in the area; developing effective transport solutions, establishing a clear pathway to decarbonisation, securing investment in new infrastructure and developing innovative approaches to urban and rural transport challenges.
We work hard to create desirable places for people to live and work as part of Somerset’s ambitious growth plans which include major enterprise zones and extensions to our main towns including Taunton’s new garden communities. Somerset provides fantastic opportunities to become engaged in some of the most ambitious growth projects in the Country, as well as tackling challenging problems associated with rural accessibility.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
You would be responsible for the development of long-term policy, strategy, plans and programmes for all modes of transport including active travel, rail, road and safety improvements.
You would advise on the requirements and implications of directives and central government thinking (e.g. decarbonisation, local and regional transport policy), and seek to develop the necessary policies and investment programmes for Somerset.
You would work closely with colleagues working on infrastructure plans for towns, corridors and major housing developments to create effective transport solutions; and prepare bids for project funding. You would oversee the implementation of a new programme of Active Travel measures across the County following considerable new investment in this area of activity.
You would devise, consult on and agree strategic changes to the transport network in Somerset, and work closely with colleagues across the South West through the Peninsula Transport Sub-National Transport Bodies to ensure continued investment in the region’s transport systems.
A few things about you
• Educated to degree level or equivalent through relevant professional development.
• Substantial managerial experience and skills gained at a senior level , including making a contribution to the corporate management of an organisation where required.
• Experience in transport planning and policy.
• Demonstrable experience of partnership working including the ability to influence and, where appropriate, lead multi-agency groups and projects to deliver services and initiatives.
• Demonstrable experience of engagement with communities and customer feedback channels to shape and inform improved services.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Mike O’Dowd-Jones, Strategic Manager: Highways and Transport, on 01823 356238 or email email@example.com.
All interviews will take place virtually via MS Teams.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
In this role you will need to speak fluent English. More information is in our job pack.
Share this job