Social Worker Children’s Services
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Social Worker to join our Taunton team. The Key purpose of the role is to improve the outcomes for our most vulnerable young people and families in Somerset to encourage positive change.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, along with a very supportive management team.
What we can offer you…
- Generous annual leave and flexible working options
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including; cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
- Generous relocation allowance
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
- Make on-going assessments of allocated cases to reflect individual circumstances including assessment of risk, and the need to ensure that children are protected from significant harm.
- Responsible for a caseload of varying complexity, commensurate with experience, ability and qualification; receive and respond to referrals from various sources.
- Assess the needs of children and facilities under the appropriate statutory frameworks.
- Enable individual’s families and carers to address issues which affect their health, financial, emotional and social wellbeing.
A few things about you
What we’re looking for…
You will be passionate about relationship-based social work, proud of your profession, and able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build relationships to make a difference to children and families.
You will need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
The team for the west of the county are based in County Hall in Taunton, although we are very open to flexible working options. You will hold a full driving licence and have access to your own vehicle as travel is required.
Due to the importance of the role we recommend applying as soon as possible. Depending on the level of response, we anticipate conducting interviews ahead of the closing date. All interviews are being held virtually via MS Teams.
For an informal chat about roles within our assessment team please contact Cathy Jones CZJones@somerset.gov.uk.
Please note this post requires a criminal check via the disclosure procedure.