Social Worker Children’s
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Social Worker to join our Taunton and West Somerset team. The Key purpose of the role is to improve the outcomes for our most vulnerable young people and families in Somerset to encourage positive change.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working including some working from home, compressed hours, job shares and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
As we roll out the Family Safeguarding model, you will working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and be able to access intervention and advice from adult-focussed practitioners in the specialist areas of substance misuse, domestic abuse, and mental health, to inform assessments and plans. You will also be able to access expertise in child exploitation from the Wider Safeguarding Team, to address this growing area of need.
Here’s what you can expect to be doing
The Social Worker role…
Here in Somerset, our manageable caseloads let you be the innovative and creative social worker you want to be – direct work with children to hear their voice and understand their experiences. You will work with parents and the wider family network to support them to tackle problems and change interactions and behaviours. With permanent Team Managers and a permanent stable senior leadership team you’ll be well supported with regular and reflective supervision.
What we can offer you…
- Generous annual leave and flexible working options
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
- Generous relocation allowance
A few things about you
What we’re looking for…
You will be passionate about relationship-based social work, proud of your profession, and able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build relationships to make a difference to children and families. You will need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We’re supporting flexible working arrangements and our offices meet the Covid-19 Secure standards. We’re using risk assessments and where needed, PPE to protect our social workers. Good technology is provided to help you stay connected to your team and manager through virtual meetings, team check-ins and service sessions.
The team for the west of the county are based in County Hall in Taunton. You will hold a full driving licence and have access to your own vehicle as travel is required.
Due to the importance of the role we recommend applying as soon as possible. Depending on the level of response, we anticipate conducting interviews ahead of the closing date. All interviews are being held virtually via MS Teams.
For an informal chat about roles within our assessment team please contact Cathy Jones CZJones@somerset.gov.uk.
As a Social Worker you will need to be able to speak fluent English.
Salary £30,451 – £34,728 per annum.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Please note this post requires a criminal check via the disclosure procedure.