Could you help Musgrove Park Hospital to deliver the best quality and safest care to our local community?
Our Switchboard is a friendly & supportive team who work together to achieve far more than just answering phones.
We are looking for enthusiastic, reliable, flexible & customer friendly individuals to join our team at Musgrove Park Hospital.
You will be trained to confidently handle a wide variety & high volume of calls from the general public, health care professionals & hospital staff. Our operators are trained to remain calm when dealing with emergency calls, emergency alarms and activating these promptly. As a team we cover a variety of tasks including: key management, ID badges, fire alarms, pool cars & bleeps among many others.
Excellent customer service and communication skills are required as well as the ability to work under pressure as part of a team or as a lone operator.
This role will include various shifts including 6-2’s, 2-10’s, 9-5 & nights, including bank holidays, weekends, Christmas and new Year on a 6 week rota pattern that is different every week.
There will also be requirements to cover an on call rota shared between operators.
If you are interested in joining this challenging yet rewarding role please get in touch.
Main duties of the job
You would be handling a wide variety, high volume of calls from the general public, health care professionals, hospital staff and on call staff.
Good customer care and communication skills are required, working under pressure and the ability to work as part of a team or as a lone operator are important factors of this challenging 24/7, 365 days a year role.
Operators will be expected to remain calm when dealing with emergency calls, emergency alarms and activating these promptly.
Operators cover a wide range of tasks including: key management, ID badges, Fire alarms, pool cars & bleeps among many others.
There will be requirements to cover an on call Rota shared between operators.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, fantastic pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will to experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answering a range of internal and external telephone calls to the public, GP’s, other health professionals, staff and patients.
- Answer professionally and calmly dealing with Emergency calls from the ambulance service, police, fire brigade, internal emergency calls, Cardiac Arrest, helicopter landing/take-off, major incident, paediatric emergency.
- Answering MFT portering control calls out of hours, and distributing the MFT jobs via radio and logging these onto the portering system.
- Complete the 24 hour on call sheets daily from the Clinical Rotas received.
- To be conversant with polices, procedures and Standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for trust keys, on-site and off site, master keys, including accommodation keys, keeping an audit of all keys signed in and out.
- To undertake administrative duties on managements request.
- Use a range of systems, Maxims, Multitone, paging, call logger, outlook, calendars, BMS system, MFT control system.
- Undertaking the process of printing ID badges on request and viewing the bookings on ID badge calendar, accepting appointments. Giving access for swipe doors using NET 2 software.
- Maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times including out of hours.
- Managing bookings for short term accommodation, pool cars, conference phone on outlook. Issuing accommodation keys, checking ID, ensuring the correct envelope is issued to the correct person and report anomalies.
- View and check Switchboard emails every hour when on duty, complete requests or changes.
- Programs and replace internal pagers and issue replacements using IMessage system.
- Keep the department safe, minimising risk, clean and tidy at all times, including emptying your bins.
- Safeguard patient confidentiality at all times adherence to the data protection act. (add correct date for act).
- Updating the boardroom console 4445 when information has been inputted onto console 4441.
- Reporting faults to the correct supplies, Tele-response, Fire Faults, Estates.
Planning and Organisation
- Maintain a range of data to ensure that the switchboard has up to date information with which to deliver its service. E.g. emergency services contact information.
- Ensuring accurate and up-to-date recording of details on the availability of all on-call staff, ensuring that the correct person is called when required. (This information changes on a regular basis
- Work closely with medical staffing, to ensure that data held on medical staff is up-to-date at all times – medical staff changes on a regular basis.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of the handover of pagers at the biannual doctor’s changeover. Over a 3 day period 150 pagers have to be collected from outgoing doctors, reassigned and then issued to incoming doctors. This involves the post holder in detailed discussion with Medical Staffing, Musgrove Academy and Divisional Leads.
Responsibility for Patient / Client Care, Treatment & Therapy
- Provide help to callers who have become ‘lost’ in the hospital telephones system…these callers regularly i.e. daily, are confused as to who they need to speak to.
Policy, Service, Research & Development Responsibility
Ensuring that service policies and protocols for escalation of calls are adhered too.
- Telephone Experience and Training
- Good general Qualifications
Customer Service Skills
- Good Customer Service Experience
- Switchboard Experience