Somerset Passenger Solutions
This is a new and exciting opportunity, in a modern, refitted Vehicle Maintenance Unit providing inhouse maintenance services to support the SPS operation.
Summary of role & duties:
• The promotion of, compliance with and adherence to all statutory, company and client HS&E policies and procedures.
• To bring a coaching mindset to manage the 24/7 engineering workshop, ensuring that all company, manufacturer, regulatory authority and good engineering practice standards are cost effectively and consistently applied at every individual vehicle interaction.
• To maintain a 100% annual test pass rate and develop working relations with the external provider and DVSA staff.
• To ensure that PVR is achieved consistently every day, to produce and submit AM and PM VOR reports and expected return to service schedules.
• To be the main engineering conduit in promoting and encouraging a good working relationship between engineering and operations departments, essential to achieving our shared objectives.
• To directly manage 16 technical (which includes 4 shift supervisors) and 2 stores personnel, maintaining a very modern fleet of 155 vehicles rising to a peak of around 250 vehicles during the life of the project.
• To ensure and perform regular auditing of engineering repair output and maintenance standards.
• To control, monitor and authorise parts usage and cost control.
• To manage the Vehicle Presentation Team and maintain high standards of vehicle cleanliness.
• To contribute to identifying and facilitating engineering training needs.
• To contribute to the production and promulgation of Health and Safety Risk Assessments, SSoW and Toolbox Talks.
• To identify any requirement for and participate in the coaching, mentoring, training and development needs of the engineering team
• To complete all required performance reviews, ensure fair and equitable application of all conduct management procedures and manage any capability, sickness or attendance issues.
• To develop effective relationships and clear communication with the company Transport Managers to ensure a thorough understanding of compliance requirements and their application.
You will be required to work 39 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Flexibility is required to meet the demands of the business as we operation on a 24/7 basis.
Qualifications and Experiences:
• NVQ3 or C&G equivalent or above (Essential)
• Driving licence – Class D (Essential)
• Membership of a professional body (IRTE, IMI etc) (Desirable)
• Be an effective communicator and Leader (Essential)
• At least five years relevant engineering experience with at least 3 years in a supervisory/management position. (Essential)
• Engineering experience in the bus industry (Desirable)
• A record of successful application of engineering standards and proven results (Essential)
• Able to participate in the management of the company and contribute effectively with senior colleagues (Essential)
Terms, Conditions and Benefits:
• Pension – 5% contributory pension matched by us
• Employee rewards scheme
• Life assurance
• 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
• Annual pay review linked to retail price index
For this role you must have evidence of right to work in the UK. As a project, we do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.